No announcement yet.

What type of chicken is friendly

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We don't have much of a choice of chicken where I live (pretty much along the lines of "you can have any colour you like so long as it's brown), so I had to look your chicks up. They sound just the job. If you're getting them as chicks, they'll adapt to being around you very quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by 4Shoes View Post
      Most chickens will work for you, but best keep away from light weight / flighty birds - these are mostly pure breeds.

Most Hybrid and commercial chickens will work for you - ISA Browns, Blue Bells, Speckly's, black tails, etc etc. like wise with Pure Breads like Light Sussex, Rhode Island Reds, Scots Grey or Dumpty, French Maran, and the dark egg layers like Welsummer etc.

Cream Legbars - lay green eggs and the Vorwerk (cream eggs) are both lighter and harder to train.

Leghorns are likely to be a no no…

Research will be key....

From past experience I totally agree with you about every breed you have mentioned. Good advice.
      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	chicks.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	2382764
        My brother took a picture of the chicks so thought I would let you see them

I cant believe howmuch they poo, they need cleaning every few hours
        Last edited by Workslave; 22-03-2019, 08:25 PM.
        I live with autism spectrum disorder. Please be gentle. Sincerely Steve.

Comment

They're gorgeous, Steve
          Thank you for the photo.

Comment

Beautiful!!

Comment

awe it makes you feel all broody,i would like a couple more
              sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

They are so cute and cuddly. Do you give them special vitamin drink?

Comment

Originally posted by lottie dolly View Post
                  awe it makes you feel all broody,i would like a couple more
                  Now, now Lottie!
                  Last edited by Scarlet; 22-03-2019, 09:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                    Now, now Lottie!
                    hens only
                    Last edited by Nicos; 23-03-2019, 11:16 AM.
                    sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

Those are really sweet Steve.
                      Urmmmm.....can I ask a potentially difficult question?
                      Did you specifically ask for female chicks?
                      To my untrained eye it looks like you may have at least one male in that lot

QUOTE.....
                      "Sexing chicks is more difficult than adults, but it's important to know the gender of your chick if you plan to raise them for egg production. Barred Rocks are considered “sex linked,” so it's possible to accurately sort male and females at birth without hiring a trained vent inspector. Barred Rocks are born with a spot on their heads, and this spot is key to sex linking — a male has a large white spot, while a female has a smaller narrower spot. In general, female Barred Rocks are also lighter colored than males. These sexing methods are 80 percent accurate — so have a plan if your hens possibly turn out to be roosters."

From this site....https://animals.mom.me/how-to-tell-a...n-3920656.html

Are you worried about having any males( rehoming is difficult as is 'dispatching'them as is keeping crowing birds near neighbours or them fighting)

I thought it best to mention it now before you get too attached.
                      I may of course be very wrong......
                      Just a thought....sorry
                      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Yeah I can deal with that, we had chickens at school and I have dispatched them there. they just had the brown ones. Im glad my teacher used to push me to do different things.
                        I have never done the chick rearing thing though thats all new.

We lost a chick last night, guess it was the stress of a 20 minute car ride and change in environment, one had been doing green poos and there are not any more green poos now so hoping it was just one poorly one.
                        The rest all look healthy and already recognise my hand.

I never knew it was a sex linked breed I actually got to choose them too, I took a mix of "cocky" "timid" and in between so hope not too many cockerels.
                        Last edited by Workslave; 28-03-2019, 02:09 PM.

Comment

They look like a lovely bunch, Steve. Congratulations.

Comment

No more losses so far and the remaining 7 are healthy and growing fast
                            Checking on them constantly, one of them start sqwuaking for me to come back as soon as I leave.

Comment

Originally posted by Workslave View Post
                              No more losses so far and the remaining 7 are healthy and growing fast
                              Checking on them constantly, one of them start sqwuaking for me to come back as soon as I leave.
                              Sounds like you are doing very well

PS are you sure the squawky one isn't saying " OK now girls, that bloke has disappeared for a bit and we can have some fun " ? (only joking)

Comment

Hello everyone
                                I want to tell you the chickens are all healthy and have feathers now
                                I hope we will get some eggs soon, they are very funny dinosaurs.
                                Sincerely
                                Steve

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X