Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a home for 1 ex batt - Edinburgh area

Hi,
    Almost 2 years ago I rescued 3 ex batts from BHWT. About 3 months ago I had to have the first one (Bella) put to sleep as she had peritonitis and was very poorly. On Wednesday I had to have another (Barbara) put to sleep as she was having digestive problems which led to sour crop, she went down very quickly and the vet advised she be put to sleep. I was pretty gutted as she really seemed in excellent health a couple of days previously.
    Of course now I only have Beenie left. I don't want to take on anymore just now, even though I have enjoyed them all enormously. I have been in touch with BHWT but as yet no reply. I just wondered if there was a good home available for 1 lonely ex battery hen? She is used to free ranging for at least a couple of hours a day, easy to get back in the coop (rattle a few treats) easy to handle and very used to well behaved dogs. I feel quite sad about it all as I have never rehomed an animal before, I feel great responsibility for my animals so this isn't easy. I would be willing to travel 30/40 miles from Edinburgh to take her to the right home. Can anyone help?

Fingers crossed you can find her a new home.

Comment

Thanks for that Scarlet. I have now heard back from BHWT.
      Although they say in the FAQ on the website that they will endeavour to take back and find a new home where possible, in the reply I received they said they cannot take the hen back due to bio security reasons.
      I thought they might have asked me to have her vet checked before taking her back, which is totally understandable. Don't really know what to think about that one. I will be in touch with them again.
      Anyway, the important thing is, Beenie seems to be quite happy at the moment, she is pootling about and has been knocking on the patio door looking for treats. That was my big fear that she wouldn't do well. Early days yet but fingers crossed she stays happy.

Comment

As long as she's happy and you can keep her, that's what you should do.
        I went down to one, once, and didn't want more as I was spending a lot of time in West Wales, so I used to take her with me in the car - she and the dogs.
        She didn't mind at all and went free ranging around the other garden happily.
        They're more adaptable than we think!!

Comment

I think the move might well see her off to be honest....generally they all seem to go around the same time.
          This is the hard part of keeping chickens, I went down to one once ( I had several fox attacks) and gave her to a friend - she only lasted a couple of months. They take ages to integrate into a new flock.

Comment

Thanks veggiechicken and Scarlet. I am very happy keeping her. I had read so much about them not doing well on their own, I convinced myself that she HAD to find a new flock. (Even though I would be very choosy about were she went.) It was a big shock losing Babs she seemed to be so healthy and went down so quickly. I suppose when you think of it she has spent more than half of her life here and she is safe,free and happy. Looks like she's staying then. Thanks all for making me feel better about it all, I was getting very stressed. X

Comment

I can't think of any reason why she would want to leave somewhere where she's "safe, free and happy" for unknown territory where she may be picked on by the resident flock.
              Hope she has a long and happy life with you.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X