Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hazel at the Hill
    replied
    You are only shocking me with your spendthriftery (what a great word!) because I am a tightwad.

Alright then - if you have to go with your gold plated raised beds, , go for the deeper ones - they will be more versatile. Mind you, that's even more soil that's going to have to shift to somewhere else if/when you pack the beds up to take with you...

Leave a comment:

• Iamhanuman
    replied
    spendthriftery even

Leave a comment:

• Iamhanuman
    replied
    Am I shocking everyone with my spendthiftery now! ? ! ?

Oh dear!

Am I going down the wrong route?

I was really thinking of using them all year round, but as they would be more lightweight and movable than wood, then I had that option.
    We rent our property so we always have to think of things being easily moved.

I had kind of ruled the wooden raised beds out and was going down the route of plastic. It has also had good reviews.

agh - i'm floundering now!

Leave a comment:

• Hazel at the Hill
    replied
    Originally posted by Iamhanuman View Post
    they can be taken apart and stored when not in use

i have thought of making some with wood myself but the plastic kits seem better and easier to use year round - more adaptable
    what were you thinking of doing with the soil that is in your raised beds when you have them packed away?

Originally posted by Iamhanuman View Post
    Dobies are around £30 10in height
    Harrod are around £19 6in height

...and if I'd just paid out 19 quid for 4 x 1m lenghts of plastic, I'd be growing things all year round!

Leave a comment:

• Iamhanuman
    replied
    Hmmmm....
    Well here are my main reasons for the raised bed kits:

the position I have is over a bit of pretty rubbish ground
    they are supposed to be good for root warmth, etc
    they can be taken apart and stored when not in use

i have thought of making some with wood myself but the plastic kits seem better and easier to use year round - more adaptable

Dobies are around £30 10in height
    Harrod are around £19 6in height

Leave a comment:

• Iamhanuman
    replied
    That's kind of what I was thinking.
    Would it always be better to go for the deeper one to be on the safe side, or it is a case of different depths for different things...? I.e. can a deeper one be unsuitable for some crops?

As you can guess I am totally new. I've dabbled in the past but this is my first year where I want to lay down some roots

You're in France?

Leave a comment:

• Hazel at the Hill
    replied
    Also depends what you want to grow - 6" (even onto a fairly solid/clay base) is fine for salad crops, herbs, strawbs, dwarf beans, spinach etc and even for stump rooted carrots. Anything root-like would appreciate the extra depth though.

Personally (knowing how eyewateringly jaw-droppingly expensive these ready made beds are) I'd go for the 6". Actually, I'd make my own. A few stakes and tannalised (sp?) wood and you're there.

Leave a comment:

• Flummery
    replied
    If you are using raised beds because you have absolutely awful clay soil or stony stuff, then the extra 4" is useful. However, if you want raised beds for demarcation - to have beds and paths that you can easily get between without standing on the soil - then it doesn't matter. Ours are about 6" and because the soil is deep and well worked they don't need to be deeper.

Leave a comment:

• tootles
    replied
    Depends on what you have underneath..............
    (real answer - not smutty!)

Leave a comment:

• Iamhanuman
    started a topic Raised Beds - does size matter? ;)

Raised Beds - does size matter? ;)

I have decided to purchase raised beds to start my gardening year.
    I'm a novice but have heard and read good things about raised beds.
    I was going to buy the kits from Dobies which are 1mx1m and 10in in height, but a brochure in a recent 'Grow Your Own' from Harrod has kits which are 1mx1m and 6in in height for nearly half the price.

Can anyone tell me whether that extra 4 inches matters, and no smutty answers please?

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
Working...
X