Plant ID please

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plant ID please

The neighbouring half-plot at the lottie has been vacated so I have taken it on after serious negotiations with Mrs G. (Boris should've sent me to Brussels, Brexit would have been sorted so much quicker!)

Amongst the weeds are these little pink/purple flowers. They look like mini sweet peas, the leaves are similar too. Can anybody tell me what it is so I can decide whether to keep it? Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1949.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	2525695 ​​​​​​​
    Are y'oroight booy?

It's common vetch, a legume.
    It spreads quite easily by seed, and is often sold as a green manure as it grows quickly and fixes nitrogen.
    The shoots are actually edible, and can be eaten raw or lightly cooked, much like pea tops or broadbean tops (indeed, broadbeans are in the same genus). The seeds are toxic and should not be eaten (they can apparently be rendered edible with sufficient processing, but frankly I don't think it's worth the risk or the effort, especially as the seeds are pretty small).

Comment

Thanks Ameno, it's a pretty thing but I think I'll remove the flowers/potential seeds and dig it in
      Are y'oroight booy?

Comment

more plant ID please. What do we think these beauties are?
        Are y'oroight booy?

Comment

Shasta daisy ?

Comment

The last one is definitely willowherb.
            The first two I don't recognise.

Comment

I agree with Nick, the first one looks like a shasta daisy. It'll be in flower soon, you'll be able to tell for sure.
              The third is a willowherb (weed), the fourth one is a very healthy looking hollyhock (mine always get rust).
              I'm not sure about the little blue flower in the second picture. How big is it, and can we see the leaves? It might be a geranium, e.g. Johnson's Blue?
              My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
              Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

The blue flower might be a hardy geranium

Comment

The title blue flower is Flax. It could be the perennial variety, very pretty when it makes a biggish clump.
                  Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

Thanks all, really appreciate it
                    Are y'oroight booy?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X