No announcement yet.

Modified standard garden trowel - "snub nosed trowel"

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If your weeds are that established so not so good for a hoe would you not want to get the roots out? I am rubbish at hoeing regularly and although my soil is just claggy rather than heavy I tend to resort to hand fork to level weed and breaking the ground then hand pulling.

As for planting spuds - bulb planter. Seriously, I was so please when another grape mentioned it. Talk about making a job easy....

Comment

Got a bulb planter NG I use it for my "Jerusalem Artichoke bed".

Always leave my roots in unless there dock or dandelions or other deep rooted weeds. Need the biomass in my clay / sand mix soil.

I always plant my tatters by hand building up the soil around them. Also its because I start my potatoes in pots indoors then transplant them. A delaying tactic gives me a chance to prepare the beds over the spring period. Probably a long winded way but hey why make a job simple when you can make it really long winded and complicated...

Comment

Originally posted by Norfolkgrey View Post
        As for planting spuds - bulb planter. Seriously, I was so please when another grape mentioned it. Talk about making a job easy....
        Sorry slight tangent but thanks NG had forgotten about using a bulb planter for spuds.

Already have one of those but not the required tools or desire to butcher my trowel, as I’ve only got the one unfortunately.

Comment

Originally posted by no_akira View Post
          Perhaps a new thread "100 uses for your "snubbed nosed trowel!"
          Its "Your" trowel - I have no use for it as I use a .

It hoes, weeds, rakes, makes drills, levers out roots, drags and has a long handle or a short handle depending on how far you need to reach. I also have a small hand tool version and they are my go to tools for any occasion. I use a fork for digging out tap rooted weeds and secateurs - and a bulb planter or a broken off spade handle dibber. That's my go to tool kit - nothing else required.

Comment

VG that wouldn't last 5 mins in my soil unfortunately, looks nice...

Comment

Wolf tools are very robust. I’m on heavy clay and they are great, inherited a very well used three prong cultivator and wooden handle (which probably indicates it’s age to you VC) and gradually adding more heads (got a rake and the tiller so far) when they have specials at our locat garden centre on them. Not cheap but you can see where the money is going.

VC what is that head called as it looks like my cultivator with an extra bit which looks a super useful addition.

Comment

Its the Cultiweeder. https://www.wolfgarten-tools.co.uk/m...ltiweeder-10cm
                I've been using it for about 20 years and its still as good as new. Seems pretty tough to me as its been used on all sorts of rough ground without a hiccup.
                Its the tool I would take to a desert island.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluenowhere View Post
                  Wolf tools are very robust. I’m on heavy clay and they are great, inherited a very well used three prong cultivator and wooden handle (which probably indicates it’s age to you VC) and gradually adding more heads (got a rake and the tiller so far) when they have specials at our locat garden centre on them. Not cheap but you can see where the money is going.

VC what is that head called as it looks like my cultivator with an extra bit which looks a super useful addition.
                  Might be worth checking out car boots and fairs as well. Most of mine are second hand but there was a bloke that just sold garden stuff at the car boots so a lot of mine came from him.

As has been said Wolf is very robust.

I love the push pull weeder. https://www.wolfgarten-tools.co.uk/m...ll-weeder-10cm
                  Last edited by Norfolkgrey; 22-04-2018, 05:27 AM.

Comment

Found a cheap <£3 metal trowel in a leading high street store and applied this mod

Top down view

Click image for larger version

Name:	cheap_trowel_snub_mod_front_c.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	2378418

Underside of modified cheap trowel

Name:	cheap_trowel_snub_mod_back_c.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	2378419

Rounded off the sharp edges using metal file

Try not to sharpen too much (safety) as the trowel will naturally sharpened with use.

Note: L shape of sharpened edge, flowing across the top and down the right hand side when looking down at the back of this snub nosed trowel.

Comment

Sorry to breath life into this old post...

But look what I found on t'a internet

Its called a "Square Head Trowel" and is available in the good ol' USA

Name:	square_head_trowel.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	10.3 KB
ID:	2520742

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X