Introducing the g.easel or g.adder for 2018, its a 4 in 1 solution

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Introducing the g.easel or g.adder for 2018, its a 4 in 1 solution

Well after the success of my compost filled dalek squash ladder this year, it got me pondering... I'm sure there is a multifunction design in here somewhere?

Click image for larger version

Name:	geasel_01c_beanframe.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	139.8 KB
ID:	2405525

Name:	geasel_02c_ladder.jpg
Size:	147.1 KB
ID:	2405524

Name:	geasel_03c_windbreak.jpg
Size:	143.4 KB
ID:	2405526

Name:	geasel_04c_cloche.jpg
Size:	190.9 KB
ID:	2405527

Name:	geasel_05c_hooks.jpg
Size:	194.8 KB
ID:	2405528

Its a 4 in 1 design; #1 Compost bin ladder, #2 Bean frame (curved), #3 Wind break, #4 Seedling Cloche. Dimensions are approx 2.5' x 6.5' or 0.76m x 2m.

All held together with x4 Turbocoach screws that can be driven in without pilot holes straight throu the metal tubes into the battens. A quick tap on the turboscrew with a hammer to puncture the metal is all that is required.

Because of the issues I felt I had with the preservative on the wooden batens or the soft HDPE plastic grid that I used on the 2017 mk1 design, I'm hoping to be as "inert" as possible, untreated batons and old galvanised heras panels.

Regards naming its either a g.easel = gardeners Easel or a g.adder = gardeners ladder as the hook part of the design looks like fangs on a viper or Adder.
    Last edited by no_akira; 05-12-2017, 05:56 PM.

I don't think many people wander through the DIY section.
    Not many replies.

But this made me think.
    I recently inherited some extra daleks so I have 4 in all.
    I guess I could use the end one for squashes.
    Instead of using a whole raised bed for them a contrivance similar to your might be the ticket.

How many to a dalek do you think , two plants trained in opposite directions ?

Jimmy
    Last edited by Jimmy; 23-01-2018, 08:25 AM.
    Expect the worst in life and you will probably have under estimated!

Comment

Very inventive, true lottie gardeners spirit

Comment

Jimmy
        I don't think many people wander through the DIY section.
        Not many replies.

But this made me think.
        "That's the spirit" as Rutger Hauer spits in Bladerunner 1

Only use 1 ladder per dalek but on the south facing side of the dalek. Put 2-3 plants in the compost at the top in m.May to l.May and then thin out the weaker ones.

As the plant trails down the trellis pick it up the snaky bit and wrap it back up on itself. This then puts the Male & Female flowers side-by-side.

Also I encourage the flowers to drop through the mesh as this keeps the M & F flowers from getting washed clean by rain during their polen stage as they are under the umbrella of leaves.

Then when the fruits appear again drop them through the heras panel mesh. Once they get heavy and start heading towards the floor I tied my up with a little bit of string. This did 2 things; keeps fruit off floor and away from slugs and encourages stronger stem development as its under pressure. I observed this in professional greenhouses and these 'hung' fruits seem to grow quicker (IMO).
        Last edited by no_akira; 02-04-2018, 08:33 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X