Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rotary Washing Line

Hi,

I am reasonably new to having an allotment (2yrs 2 mths), and I am try to make the best use of things from home that I do not use anymore, instead of just throwing them out, some of the things have already done: made trellis out of the bottom on breadbaskets, Old Pine laminate for the floor in my shed, washing machine drum for a barbeque, I think you may get the gist.

Does anymore have suggestions how to use the following, or anything else please, as I love to experiment recycling:

Rotary washing line
    Polystrene Boxes
    Pallets - we are already designing our own garden furniture, and used more to make a fence around the allotment, but any other suggestions greatly received

Rotary washing line - for growing beans up or to act as a giant bird scarer

Polystrene Boxes - cover and make into troughs (beechgrove and GW have shown them as alpine), raise leek seedlings Kristen style (typically I can't find a reference, will edit when I do) for storing veggies.

Pallets - what can't you use them for. Fences, gates, coups, hutches, bed edging, swing chairs, vertical planters, raised panters, compost bin, benches, chairs, bug hotel etc. etc.

Have a look at the following thread for some great upcycling ideas http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ead_30193.html

Comment

hyia.

And welcome to the vine Idyll159 I don't have much to offer in relation to yr question I'm afraid, i did recycle and old greenhouse, but its got too dangerous now so has to go.

When you get a moment, can you pop your location into your Bio, it makes answering queries a bit easier.
      Blogging at..... www.thecynicalgardener.wordpress.com

Comment

I regularly scrounge old rotary washing lines. I carefully take out the line to use around the garden in place of string, then dismantle the airer itself. I find the arms useful as they have pre drilled holes, so use them to fence in broad beans, or to stake tomato plants. The central column of the airrers are useful in place of canes. I've also just made an "X" shaped raised bed, with an old rotary airer in the centre, to try and grow beans and fat babies up this summer. 🙂

Comment

Hello and welcome, Payner. Sounds like you have some great ideas. Looking forward to hearing more about your plot. Hope you're having a great growing year.

Comment

Hello Payner and welcome to the vine, sorry to say but Idyll159 who started this thread in 2015 hasn't been back to it since.

It sounds like you'll fit in fine here so hopefully you'll stick around.
            Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Hello & welcome Payner how many washing lines have you got I remember Jay-ell used ceramic toilets on his plot,filled with compost & plants,what’s the strangest item people have used,I’ll need to have a think (two minute think) mines probably the swing frame,I don’t like the look of it but it’s strong as a plant support

Comment

Brilliant idea, Jungle Jane.

Comment

Originally posted by Payner View Post
                  I regularly scrounge old rotary washing lines. I carefully take out the line to use around the garden in place of string, then dismantle the airer itself. I find the arms useful as they have pre drilled holes, so use them to fence in broad beans, or to stake tomato plants. The central column of the airrers are useful in place of canes. I've also just made an "X" shaped raised bed, with an old rotary airer in the centre, to try and grow beans and fat babies up this summer. 🙂
                  this is actually amazing - this is the information I needed! And found an amazing site to help me with my journey! 🍓

Comment

Hello and welcome, White02. Lots of friendly folk here happy to share their ideas and tricks.

Comment

Hello White02 and welcome to the vine
                      Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X