Neem oil - does it really work ?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neem oil - does it really work ?

I purchased some 100% pure Neem oil and diluted as advised with mild liquid soap and warm water. I sprayed the stems and leaves of tomato and chilli plants last evening, come the morning - alive and healthy aphids still all over them. So they do not kill them or even deter from my experience. If they don't work on aphids, I have not much hope for them getting rid of my thrip problem too.
    Last edited by Marb67; 25-05-2022, 09:52 AM.

The tomato hairs on the stem catch flys & immobilises them,they’re carnivorous plants. If you look at the fly on the stem,they don’t move,they eventually drop to the ground & feeds the plant. Neem oils bad for ladybirds I think,I’ve never used it.
    Last edited by Jungle Jane; 25-05-2022, 09:57 AM.

Comment

haven't heard that about the hairs on a tomato plant. Bizarre to say the least!

I think you may be mistaken as I checked before I purchased and It isn't harmful to beneficial insects such as ladybirds.

Since neem oil only targets bugs who chew on leaves, neem oil insecticides are safe to use around butterflies, ladybugs, and most other beneficial insects.
      Last edited by Marb67; 25-05-2022, 10:36 AM.

Comment

See this, Marb: https://plantcaretoday.com/neem-oil-...%20to%20humans.

Also, I've given up bothering about aphids on the stems of tomato plants, as my experience is the same as Jane's: they get stuck and aren't a problem. I still try and kill aphids on leaves though by squishing with my fingers before they grow to horde-like proportions. Ditto chilli or pepper stems. Squishing might seem disgusting, but if you do it before the problem becomes serious, you allow natural pest predators to survive and take over from you.

Comment

Originally posted by Snoop Puss View Post
          See this, Marb: https://plantcaretoday.com/neem-oil-...%20to%20humans.

Also, I've given up bothering about aphids on the stems of tomato plants, as my experience is the same as Jane's: they get stuck and aren't a problem. I still try and kill aphids on leaves though by squishing with my fingers before they grow to horde-like proportions. Ditto chilli or pepper stems. Squishing might seem disgusting, but if you do it before the problem becomes serious, you allow natural pest predators to survive and take over from you.
          I may as well use the oil now I have it as I can use it as a root soak for plants to take up through their system making it more effective in killing insects that feed off their sap (thrips etc)
          Last edited by Marb67; 25-05-2022, 11:05 AM.

Comment

If you're using it in pots, don't soak too much as you'll be pouring it into a confined container, not like into the ground, where it can spread.

Years and years ago, before neem was a thing, I bought a litre of the stuff. It was hugely expensive in those days. I was so disappointed with the results after spraying with it twice, I gave up bothering with it. I still have it as I'm not very sure how to dispose of it. I'm much more of a squisher these days. Occasionally I'll dust brassicas with powder, but I've given up spraying leaves with any kind of liquid. Rain is damaging enough!

Comment

Give it three or four days, Marb. Neem is really not a contact killer, it works by disrupting the insects' systems, so they stop feeding and can't reproduce so well, so it takes a while for them to die of hunger. Check the link below.

How to use neem oil with plants
              Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
              Endless wonder.

Comment

Originally posted by Snoop Puss View Post
                Rain is damaging enough!
                Damaging ?

Comment

Wet on leaves contributes to fungal problems, for example.

Comment

neem oil isn't something I'd use on edibles in fact I think its actually banned in the UK ... its certainly not as organic as its claimed ...

https://bobcutmag.com/2021/09/10/why...-banned-in-uk/
                    Neem oil can be used for consumption and as well as for applying on the skin. Read further to know why neem oil banned in UK.
                    ntg
                    Never be afraid to try something new.
                    Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
                    A large group of professionals built the Titanic
                    ==================================================

Comment

Originally posted by nick the grief View Post
                      neem oil isn't something I'd use on edibles in fact I think its actually banned in the UK ... its certainly not as organic as its claimed ...

https://bobcutmag.com/2021/09/10/why...-banned-in-uk/
                      I am afraid that isn't the case. Neem oil is 100% safe, pure and natural. I purchased it on Amazon (and they are selling plenty of other brands)

The brand I purchased is pure "Ourons neem oil is processed without any chemicals, the oil retains all the nutrients . It is non-toxic to humans, birds, earthworms and animals."

However, after using I still have a problem with whitefly, a few aphids and thrips (the latter being the bane of my garden) If anything it has reduced, not eliminated. I shall continue using it though.
                      Last edited by Marb67; 14-06-2022, 10:41 AM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X