Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teasel ?

Hi All,
    I have what I initially thought was teasel growing in front of an apple tree but I have a sneaky suspicion it's a weed. Trouble is I have teasel in two other pots to plant out later. The leaves although similar to the potted plants, the one in front of the tree has thorns/spikes ??? on them (Ref Pic's:- top & middle ? / Bottom is Teasel )

p.s. What is up with the top picture, cannot orientate it properly ? ? ?

Click image for larger version  Name:	T1 (2).jpg Views:	3 Size:	160.4 KB ID:	2546312

Click image for larger version  Name:	T2.jpg Views:	3 Size:	113.8 KB ID:	2546305

Click image for larger version  Name:	T3.jpg Views:	3 Size:	154.3 KB ID:	2546308

Geoff.

Attached Files
    Last edited by 1batfastard; 24-05-2022, 06:57 AM.

Geoff, your pictures are invalid files and won't load. Try uploading them again. don't worry about orientation.
    Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
    Endless wonder.

Comment

Hi Mo,
      Yes I have been trying for about half an hour, tried orienting the file the pictures all took on my wife's phone and all from our PC, it's the top that does not want to cooperate for some reason ? I imagine that if they all com from the same sorce then they should all load ok ?

I do have a couple of other issues with the site i.e To get the site in a better ratio that is central I have to minimise my screen, which makes it near impossible to see what I am typing sadly., and when adding pictures it sometimes thinks I selected attachment and does not load up.

Geoff.

Comment

I can see the pictures now. The bottom one is definitely teasel, I think the other may be bristly ox-tongue - Helminthotheca
        Endless wonder.

Comment

Geoff I've got Teasels in my garden the Goldfinches love them but they do self seed everywhere, including the veg beds but they're easy enough to spot and remove.

Wondering about your screen issue do you use an Adblocker? I have 'Adblock plus' it leaves a blank area at the side were the adverts are hidden.
          Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Hi Mo and Bren In The Pots (Love the avatar )
            Many thanks both for your input, Mo:- you nailed it it matey its a weed yet I don't know how it got there probably a Birds botty burp!! anyway thank you very much I can now trash it.

I take it your into moths Mo ? I took a video and a couple of pictures of what I think are Hawk moths if your interested ? what ever species of Moth they are larger than your average size moths anyway if you are into moths you can identify them please if you would be so kind please ?

Bren:- I have had them in the same pots for just over a year and can't wait to get all that lovely shredded wood and other pruned bits and pieces at last. I think they are a lovely Tall plant to set up behind others, I know you have to keep an eye on them I have the Purple one I think that's the common variety but mix it with verbena and fox gloves hopefully see what they all look like together as an experiment.

As for your question about the ad blocker I assume not because they still come up at the side of the box where you type the reply's, which incidentally is tucked right against the L/H side of my screen. I suppose I could stand a few miles away and it may get more central who knows ?

Anyway both many thanks again for your feedback I know who to shout out next time I need help. I tell you what a bit of useless info here, I copied a Youtube vid as an experiment, growing two Garlic bulbs in a plastic bottle of water and it is rooting just after a day, I'm very impressed.......

Geoff.
            Last edited by 1batfastard; 25-05-2022, 05:20 AM.

Comment

I chose the name Mothhawk because I used to have a lot of hawkmoths around my fuschias (the caterpillars like them), not because I'm overly into moths.

I saw that video on Utube and thought it seemed a quick way to grow garlic, so I'll be interested how you get on with them.
              Endless wonder.

Comment

Geoff when I first joined the vine I grew only a few things in pots like toms, beans and lettuce, hence Bren in Pots. chatting about avatars MrPots jokingly suggested I put one on head because we didn't have one large enough for me to sit in.

Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Hi All,
                  Mo:- Well at least I was right in my thinking they were Hawk Moths they are (Eyed Hawk-Moths - Smerinthus Ocellata) according to a gentleman that I buy my Hosta's from and they are an omen of good look apparently...

Bren:- Well I am sure you just got mixed up when he called you a pot head.....

As for the Garlic well I am actually quite impressed considering I only did this as an experiment they have come up a treat and it proves that the method actually works here in the UK, just look at the results after five days or a week at most. Note to self always jot down the dates when experimenting!!!!!.............

Click image for larger version

Name:	G1.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	2546519Click image for larger version

Name:	G2.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	2546520

Name:	G3.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	2546521Click image for larger version

Name:	G4.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	2546522

Name:	G5.png
Views:	121
Size:	870.4 KB
ID:	2546523
                  Geoff.
                  Last edited by 1batfastard; 28-05-2022, 02:49 PM.

Comment

What next in the experiment, 1bf? Do you plant them out in the garden?

I'm intrigued as gardeners' lore has it that garlic needs a period of cold in order for the new bulb to split into cloves. If this method works, maybe that isn't actually true.

Comment

Have you seen the video Snoop?
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0Uq3I7cej8&t=34s

I was fascinated because it looks as if he's cutting off the growing tip of each clove, yet they grow. Perhaps that's what breaks the dormancy so they don't need chilling?
                      Endless wonder.

Comment

Originally posted by mothhawk View Post
                        Have you seen the video Snoop?
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0Uq3I7cej8&t=34s

I was fascinated because it looks as if he's cutting off the growing tip of each clove, yet they grow. Perhaps that's what breaks the dormancy so they don't need chilling?
                        Thanks, I'll watch it later.

Comment

Hi All,
                          Mrs Bailey is out at the moment so I can't take and post any pictures of latest progress, which I am pleased with, compared to the video they are slower but nevertheless they are actually growing just like the tutorial video ( Minus the nearly severing of fingers... ) I would say they are just a few days away from being separated into individual cloves and then planted, I imagine the final stage will be the true success or failure either way it's a cheap way of more bang for your buck so to speak.

The only problem is I hate Garlic I used to be a cook in the RAF and used quite often, I it never liked the smell as it stick to your hands for ages and worse when somebody you are talking to has been eating a meal that contains the Devils food as Danny would say (Ref:- RMT youtube ), I feel like the Garlic reaching out and smacking me full on in the nostrils I am doing the experiment as I think it is pretty cost effective and my daughter uses it so just in the final stages but as soon as the wife comes home I'll nick her phone.

The next one I will try is the Cabbage have you seen the size of those things.....

Geoff.

Comment

Hi again All,
                            A couple of pictures featuring the Garlic experiment......

Click image for larger version  Name:	GP1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	102.6 KB ID:	2546792 Click image for larger version  Name:	GP2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	362.1 KB ID:	2546794
                            Click image for larger version  Name:	GP3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	362.0 KB ID:	2546796 Click image for larger version  Name:	GP4.jpg Views:	0 Size:	272.4 KB ID:	2546798

Geoff.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by 1batfastard; 04-06-2022, 05:23 AM.

Comment

Hi All,
                              Haven't posted for a while what the birth of the Granddaughter in the last month so thought I would update you on the Garlic front.

Things have moved on a little, I have now planted out both the main crop and the five smaller runts of the litter. From what I have learnt through youtubers Garlic takes a while to mature and does not like to be to crowded when planted out, So now it's just a waiting game.

Apologies for the pictures for some reason I have no end of problems loading pictures ? ?

Click image for larger version  Name:	G6.jpg Views:	0 Size:	799.3 KB ID:	2548425

Geoff.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by 1batfastard; 02-07-2022, 01:22 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X