Woodchip Lettuce sock - accidental discovery

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Woodchip Lettuce sock - accidental discovery

Last year filled these poly bag tubes with quality soil for growing lettuces in round holes cut out of the tubes, results weren't great. Dried out as the season progressed. Couldn't get enough water into the tubes.

However where I spilt lettuce seeds onto the soil underneath the sock they seeded and went on to grow into full lettuces with a long bent neck root that grew out from under the tube.

So this year have filled them with rotted wood chip rather than soil. Which makes them lighter. Scarified the soil sprinkled some lettuce seed and staked the sock onto the row. Slightly off centre off the row.

Second image shows my sprinklings starting to grow.

This technique might be applicable with other plants?
    Last edited by no_akira; 10-04-2021, 04:23 PM.

An interesting idea no_akira, takes advantage of the edge effect. Do you think it could possibly be a hidey hole for slugs though.
    Last edited by Mr Bones; 10-04-2021, 08:47 AM.
    Location ... Nottingham

Comment

Think they were better once I thinned them giving each one a bit of space along the tight row.

Will monitor it as they grow and update with pics

* This polythene is called "Black Layflat Tubing" in 400 gauge and 7" wide gives you 4.5 inch tube once filled with woodchip in 5ft lengtns. Tried samples of 6" and 8" but they were either too lightweight / flimsy or too heavy / bulky.

** Also means 90mm Cable TV ducting tube fits nicely for filling.
      Last edited by no_akira; 11-04-2021, 09:28 AM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
      Working...
      X