Thermal mass as temperature control

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jwood0123 View Post
    I think I probably will. But while I'm still designing my greenhouse layout, if I can figure out a way to stabilise temperature without sacrificing too much grow space, I'm hoping it'll help even with winter crops anyway.
    I'm not overly convinced there's much to gain extending the growing season at the end of the year as there's a reduction in light, however I think it's more beneficial feb onwards as the light levels are increasing.
    Maybe others here may have differing thoughts?
    I did play with the idea of using the composting system outside the green house to heat a "propagator mat" as opposed to heating the whole greenhouse. I've assumed it's easier to heat a propagator than the whole greenhouse
    sigpic

Comment

there's loads of winter crops that don't need heat, though. And it's far easier than creating elaborate warming devices
      sigpic

Comment

Seems like the general consensus is that there is little benefit to GH heating, especially based on the poll veggiechicken linked. I'll probably still make the ground a dark colour to help heat absorption, but just not bother with anything complicated.

I'll look into what winter crops i want to grow once im set up.

Thanks guys

Comment

There's nothing wrong with trying, loads of gardeners provide extra heat early in the growing season.
          There's a fellow in yorkshire call Jack First, google him, he runs courses in hotbeds and has a fantastic hotbed setup, he's even written a book.
          Good luck, keep it posted what you do, it's really interesting
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MyWifesBrassicas View Post
            There's nothing wrong with trying, loads of gardeners provide extra heat early in the growing season.
            There's a fellow in yorkshire call Jack First, google him, he runs courses in hotbeds and has a fantastic hotbed setup, he's even written a book.
            Good luck, keep it posted what you do, it's really interesting
            I just had a little bit of a look into the hotbed system. I might give it a go as i have the materials to make a sort of "coffin" below the walkway inside the greenhouse. while it wouldn't be directly below any growing space, it will be in the centre so it may still work. Other than that, I personally wouldn't be keen on doing it directly under grow space - i imagine it being too much hassle and one of the main crops im growing are strawberries (which i hope will survive winter) so they would get in the way.

Thanks for the suggestion, do you think the system i have mentioned would work? it would be 2 layers of approx. 20mm thick fibreglass plywood floor. hopefully insulating it so that the heat gets slightly dispersed towards the grow spaces that surround it. the "coffin" itself would probably be around 1.5mtrs long and 1/2 a mtr deep and wide. My main concern with this method would be the smell from anaerobic activity.

Comment

I just had a little bit of a look into the hotbed system. I might give it a go as i have the materials to make a sort of "coffin" below the walkway inside the greenhouse. while it wouldn't be directly below any growing space, it will be in the centre so it may still work. Other than that, I personally wouldn't be keen on doing it directly under grow space - i imagine it being too much hassle and one of the main crops im growing are strawberries (which i hope will survive winter) so they would get in the way.

Thanks for the suggestion, do you think the system i have mentioned would work? it would be 2 layers of approx. 20mm thick fibreglass plywood floor. hopefully insulating it so that the heat gets slightly dispersed towards the grow spaces that surround it. the "coffin" itself would probably be around 1.5mtrs long and 1/2 a mtr deep and wide. My main concern with this method would be the smell from anaerobic activity.
              Give it a go, it's worth a shot.
              Not sure how much heat it'll produce and for how long, anaerobic activity is colder than aerobic.
              I think the french hotbeds were about 1-2 ft underground, but built up so that it was above ground by another ft or so, making it about 3ft deep, they were very successful
              sigpic

Comment

Il look into it in further detail once I get around to building the storage space in my GH. Even if it doesn't help heat the GH, you can never have too much compost. Thanks again for your help.

Comment

Il look into it in further detail once I get around to building the storage space in my GH. Even if it doesn't help heat the GH, you can never have too much compost. Thanks again for your help.
                  When you've done it, post a picture.
                  Always exciting to see, especially if there's a compost thermometer in there giving a warm reading
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MyWifesBrassicas View Post
                    When you've done it, post a picture.
                    Always exciting to see, especially if there's a compost thermometer in there giving a warm reading
                    Will do, I'll probably have it finished in spring, takes a while to save up scrap materials from work

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X