X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drilling a teacup

My wife has a pretty, 3” diameter teacup with matching saucer that
    she wants a drainage hole in. The bottom is hard, glassy and concave
    when turned over. Any tips on it not ending up in pieces please?
    Pete

Use a really good tile drill bit - test it on a piece of ceramic which doesn't matter first

gets some damp sand, make a mound and push the cup down on that to support it at a comfortable working height

put a piece of masking tape over the place where you are drilling to help ensure the bit doesn't slip

put steady downwards pressure when drilling, don't try to force it - use water or whatever to keep the tip of the bit cool

Comment

If she wants to use it as a plant pot/holder, just put another suitably-sized pot with drainage hole inside. That can then be removed and any liquid that has collected in the cup can be poured out.

Nick's advice is good, but potentially still risky.

Comment

Tungsten tipped drill required along with a variable speed drill to slow the revs down, it's the glaze that is hard, the ceramic unless it is bone china, should be quite soft inside.

Comment

Thanks for all your very helpful replies.
          I told my wife that I was going to b and q to buy a £5 drill, she said
          Don’t bother, the teacup only cost a pound at a car boot sale, no use
          spending more on it.
          Thanks again,
          Pete

Comment

Originally posted by goodolpete View Post
            Thanks for all your very helpful replies.
            I told my wife that I was going to b and q to buy a £5 drill, she said
            Don’t bother, the teacup only cost a pound at a car boot sale, no use
            spending more on it.
            Thanks again,
            Pete
            You're very welcome - best advise your wife to only buy cups with holes already in them :-)

Comment

What about turning into a seed feeder by glueing it to the saucer & I don’t know how to add a bit of rope to hang it unless you weave it around the teacup?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X