Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

One layer high breeze blocks to raise height of tunnel question.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One layer high breeze blocks to raise height of tunnel question.

For personal reasons, I don't want to permanently fix things in the garden so I need to know if the option I am thinking about is doable.

The garden is slabbed. My polytunnel is too low.

I've finally managed to get hold of some freebie breeze blocks, not enough for what I need but it means I will only have to buy a few.

I don't want to cement the blocks to the slabs. I just want to sit them on their sides and then put a length of timber on top of them to screw the tunnel frame to. This would raise the tunnel by the 215mm of the block and 50mm of the wood which would be perfect.

Obviously I will need to screw the timber to the blocks.

1) Would the timber to block fixings be enough to stop the blocks from moving/falling over?

2) If need be I could maybe cement the blocks to each other, just not to the slabs. Would this be better?

3) Any other ideas?

The garden is small, the tunnel will be in the corner where 2 fences meet so not particularly affected by winds I think.

what I did in a similar situation was to knock some stakes in to the ground along side the blocks and screw the wood to them - then use metal straps to fix the frame of the poly-tunnel to the wood. Not sure if you can do something similar as mine was going down on soil not slabs. I did use cement between the slabs but that was because they are 3 blocks high at one end (the ground slopes) and I didn't want them toppling over.

Comment

It's slab central here nick, I think my only options are 1) & 2)

Comment

You'll need to make the door longer, unless you want to step over a block to get in.

Comment

Stepping over doesn't worry me, I wont be wheelbarrowing or anything like that.

Comment

Is this your PT, in the olden days, GG?

https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ml#post1258918

Comment

*sob* yes.

Comment

Its gives us a better idea of what its like and what you're hoping to do with it. Does look nice and I'm sure you can bring it back to its former glory.

Comment

I know it wont be as it was, I really miss it though.

Comment

1. Yes
                    2. Better Yes - needed No. And a blob of construction adhesive (gripfill) would do.
                    3. If you've worried get some Galv band (cheap as chip) and screw the band around the blocks.

Are they blown blocks ~ 1 stone or dense ~ 4 stone ?

Comment

Originally posted by Lardman View Post
                      1. Yes
                      2. Better Yes - needed No. And a blob of construction adhesive (gripfill) would do.

As in the stuff in tubes you use a gun for? Similar to sealant tubes?

3. If you've worried get some Galv band (cheap as chip) and screw the band around the blocks.

Good idea!

Are they blown blocks ~ 1 stone or dense ~ 4 stone ?
                      Ha! Seriously? They were scrounged from a garden and are filthy. I have no idea.

Comment

Originally posted by gardening_gal View Post
                        It's slab central here nick, I think my only options are 1) & 2)
                        could you hit some rebar down between the gaps between the slabs perhaps ?

Comment

Nope. Slabs are cemented down, not really any gaps.

Comment

If the blocks are heavy .. they're dense and I wouldn't worry about anything going anywhere ever. If you can pick 2 or more up at one time they're lightweight blown concrete either way I wouldn't be concerned about the PT going anywhere.

Comment

They seem heavy to me tbh. I'll make sure the extra ones I need to buy are dense as well so that will help. Thank you.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X