This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    Can it be tied in to an open day? so outsiders can enter as well. Maybe have a bbq. I also done a raffle table (lots of seeds scrounged from various companies as well as donated goodies) and refreshments.

Edit: just looked at the link in Chestnuts thread and I have to admit that much attention and judging of my plot (if I had one) would put me off and I fear it could create a divide. At least with a show you get those brave enough to show stuff but then you get the nosey beggars too.
    Last edited by Norfolkgrey; 02-02-2019, 05:24 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Chestnut
    replied
    An old thread has a few ideas. https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ons_69085.html

Something like heaviest pumpkin or tallest sunflower is relatively straightforward to judge, and less open to interpretation. Maybe some fun/children’s categories too, like best scarecrow, or a ‘cakes containing hidden vegetables’.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    When I done our village show I emphasized it was a friendly commonsense event, however there was still some upset. In regards to judges I put a disclaimer that judges decision was final. I managed to get three judges from different areas that had no ties to the show with an interest to growing, crafting and cooking and I was really lucky as they did a fantastic job.

What is the aim of your show? I know it sounds a little silly but the village show was to get people involved and raise a bit for the hall. People when they entered their lots had to say if they were happy for them to be auctioned off. I find people tend to be a little less competitive when a good cause is involved.

Also what are the categories? any non serious ones? best taste, ugliest, veg or fruit monster etc.
    People seem to worry and that they would rather not enter than have something that isn't perfect - again a good cause helps and emphasis on friendly
    Last edited by Norfolkgrey; 02-02-2019, 05:07 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Greenleaves
    replied
    We canned ours Thelma...too many arguments
    Last edited by Greenleaves; 02-02-2019, 04:54 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Thelma Sanders
    started a topic Allotment Shows

Allotment Shows

Our local society show has become much less popular over the years, and some people have suggested that it's because the old RHS rules are too strict, and they don't reflect how allotment growing has changed.

Do any other societies have shows with easier rules/judging? It would be nice for some guidelines/examples of the kind of rules and categories that could be used, and who does the judging when you no longer follow RHS rules?

Any advice would be helpful

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
Working...
X