Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small cherry tomato fruits

Hi all,

Growing some tumbling cherry tomatoes in hanging baskets and the plants are doing well and have hundreds of small green tomatoes on. Some of them are now turning red but they're still tiny, about 5p size! How can I encourage the remaining fruits to grow bigger before they ripn? They get plenty of sun, and I feed with tomorite.

Hi Bbb and welcome to the Vine. Sounds like you are doing everything right. Some cherry tomatoes are small. Little explosions of taste and especially so if roasted and for example served with fish dishes

Comment

I don't know why some plants decide to produce small fruit - I have two Tumblers treated exactly the same way in baskets right next to each other.... one is producing normal sized fruit, and one is producing annoyingly small fruit. The difference is very noticeable. I don't think there's anything to be done about it at this stage.
      He-Pep!

Comment

Gardener's Delight has just lost its RHS AGM because fruit sizes too variable. Some too large.
        Riddlesdown (S Croydon)

Comment

That’s a shame - one of the most common varieties of cherry toms, hard to beat for crop size and has a lovely flavour.

Comment

Hi Bem'babe and welcome aboard the Vine.
            As a matter of interest....what Variety of Tumbling cherry toms are you growing..?? Gp
            Never Let the BAD be the Enemy of the GOOD

Conservation and Preservation for the Future Generation

Comment

Originally posted by DannyK View Post
              Gardener's Delight has just lost its RHS AGM because fruit sizes too variable. Some too large.
              It was also because they felt there were too many “versions” of Gardeners Delight and that therefore they weren’t the same. Problem with them being too popular. I will continue to grow them and save my own seed.

Comment

I have found that the ambrosia cherry tom grows best for me , it puts up with our weather ,grows well and produces fruit of a decent and regular size. I experimented with one the other year and did not stop it at 5 trusses, it had been planted in the g/house in late march and gave 17 trusses and grew up ,across, and halfway down the other side of a 10 x 8 greenhouse, and they tasted really good and the last toms were picked in October in a mild autumn..

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X