No announcement yet.

Quincemania

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Think the quince have here is a flowering large bush type. About 2m tall by 3m wide on a wall. Fruit is yellow and somewhere between large strawberry, small apple in size. Question is does this produce something edible and therefore deserve attention such as adding manure , seaweed, etc ?

Comment

Sounds like you have something more like an ornamental quince - those are usually grown for the flowers, but I think you can still eat the fruit if you want to. Perhaps the best bet would be to boil some down with a bit of sugar and see what they taste like - if you like the flavour then you could see whether the size would be better if the tree got a bit more looking after.

Comment

Does anyone have a pear tree I can get a cutting? I will try to graft it to my quince tree.

Comment

Hi all,

Lardman kindly sent pear Scion and I am counting days to graft it.

In the meantime, I would like to apply a winter tree wash but there is always minus degrees overnight. Shall I still wait or apply? I am doing my own mix with baking soda, hydrogen peroxide and soap.

Cheers
          SeL

Comment

Any idea whether I could graft conference scions from a friends one onto my fruiting flowering ornamental type quince (large bush about 2m tall by 3m wide on a wall. Fruit is yellow and somewhere between large strawberry, small apple in size)
            Last edited by It never rains..it pours; 11-02-2019, 12:23 PM.

Comment

I reckon you could - main problem as I see it is that the growth you subsequently get might be too weak to do much in the way of fruiting - no harm in trying though.

Comment

Is it ok to winter wash when there is frost?

Comment

no problem doing it in frosty weather - not so popular these days, as it kills the good bugs as well as the bad ones.

Comment

Originally posted by nickdub View Post
                    I reckon you could - main problem as I see it is that the growth you subsequently get might be too weak to do much in the way of fruiting - no harm in trying though.
                    Thanks will give it a try, perhps removing quince flowers will help on any branches that scions take, if lucky enough to get any take

Comment

Originally posted by It never rains..it pours View Post
                      Thanks will give it a try, perhps removing quince flowers will help on any branches that scions take, if lucky enough to get any take
                      on any tree, flowers are only a minor outlay for the plant - what matters most is taking off any fruit, if you don't want it, beofre it starts getting big -as a lot of energy goes to producing that.

Comment

I grafted pear scions from Lardman but they are not budding like rest of the tree. Lets wait and see.

Comment

Originally posted by Selymbria View Post
                          I grafted pear scions from Lardman but they are not budding like rest of the tree. Lets wait and see.
                          As long as the new grafts grow, that's the main thing - if they don't flower this year, they will another time.

Comment

Pruned my tree in early winter and it is much more airier than before, the new leafs are just appeared

Last edited by Selymbria; 25-03-2019, 05:29 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X