Quincemania

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Selymbria View Post
    Here is close shot, I think it is grafted.
    I'd guess it's probably been grafted too but do what Nick said to do.

I've got a question for you regarding fruiting and growth of your quince tree. Did you let it fruit as soon as possible and did you notice the tree still growing whilst/after fruiting? Mine is about 6ft and i would like it to grow bigger but I'd also like to try a few fruits this year (assuming the blossoms turn in to fruit although i did see a bee jumping from blossom to blossom a few days ago).

Comment

I have not intervened in any way except very light pruning so far. My tree has been fruiting since I bought it bare rooted 5 years ago and it was advertised as 2/3 year old tree when I bought it. It was about 3ft tall. My tree fruits a lot, actually kore than I can consume so this year I will remove half of fruits at early stage to see if remaining ones will be larger. It deserves better care tbh.

Comment

I have not intervened in any way except very light pruning so far. My tree has been fruiting since I bought it bare rooted 5 years ago and it was advertised as 2/3 year old tree when I bought it. It was about 3ft tall. My tree fruits a lot, actually kore than I can consume so this year I will remove half of fruits at early stage to see if remaining ones will be larger. It deserves better care tbh.

I may just let mine fruit a bit this year then. Mine was in a container and advertised as a 3 year old tree, it's just over 6ft.

Sounds like a plan, removing some young fruitlets should mean the rest end up bigger and better than if you leave them all on. Beautiful pic by the way. Bees are a rare sighting in my garden as my dog loves to catch them in mid air and eat them but if the trees are a good height then it will make it harder for him to do so. I saw one for the 1st time in a while the other day on the quince tree.

Comment

My quince tree seems to have suffered a little from the strong sun we were having for a few days, at least I'm assuming that's what it was as it was fine right before it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180509_195702-2241x3984.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	2378182

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180509_195638-2241x3984.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	2378183

Aren't quince usually grown in hotter countries hence should be used to the sun/heat? I did also apply fish blood and bone but from what I've read it's a slow release fertiliser so shouldn't burn the leaves so quickly.

Comment

I'd run the hose pipe on the soil under it for 30 minutes if I were you - doesn't have to be full blast but make sure the ground gets a soaking - looks like lack of moisture, perhaps the roots haven't got down too far yet, looks like quite a young tree.

Comment

Originally posted by nickdub View Post
              I'd run the hose pipe on the soil under it for 30 minutes if I were you - doesn't have to be full blast but make sure the ground gets a soaking - looks like lack of moisture, perhaps the roots haven't got down too far yet, looks like quite a young tree.
              It was in a 7.5 L pot when I purchased it and it hasn't even been in the ground a month so like you said the roots haven't gone too far yet. I did make sure I watered during the hot weather but not as long as 30 minutes. I will give it a half hour soak tomorrow.

Comment

No worries - I'm sure it'll be fine - the thing is obviously all the foliage needs water for growth and also the plant keeps itself cool through losing moisture from the leaves too - quite an enormous job really and as your plant only has roots in the pot's volume + a bit extra new growth, it doesn't take very high temps before the thing is struggling to find enough water to keep the whole lot going.

Comment

Originally posted by nickdub View Post
                  No worries - I'm sure it'll be fine - the thing is obviously all the foliage needs water for growth and also the plant keeps itself cool through losing moisture from the leaves too - quite an enormous job really and as your plant only has roots in the pot's volume + a bit extra new growth, it doesn't take very high temps before the thing is struggling to find enough water to keep the whole lot going.
                  Yeah that does make a lot of sense. I was just surprised that UK sun could dry it out when all the literature I'd read would say the more sun the better. I'm just going to have to water it even more regularly until it's established.

Comment

Any newly planted, or potted on, plant is stressed and needs a bit of tlc. Imagine being that plant. Suddenly, its uprooted from its comfy little pot, where its roots were confined and knew their limits, into the big wide world where the soil is different, the area its roots can roam is limitless, watering may be haphazard as rain falls whenever it likes, then its dry.
                    Your leaves may be warm in the sun but, below ground your roots are struggling to cope with all the changes and your leaves respond by flagging.

Think like a tree and pour yourself some water.

Comment

Quince is from hotter climate (Turkey, Iran) but needs moist soil and fruits more if the summers are wetter than normal in those regions. There is also a belief that if quince trees fruit a lot, a harsh winter is on its way.

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post

easier for you VC, after all chickens partly live in trees naturally :-)

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                          Any newly planted, or potted on, plant is stressed and needs a bit of tlc. Imagine being that plant. Suddenly, its uprooted from its comfy little pot, where its roots were confined and knew their limits, into the big wide world where the soil is different, the area its roots can roam is limitless, watering may be haphazard as rain falls whenever it likes, then its dry.
                          Your leaves may be warm in the sun but, below ground your roots are struggling to cope with all the changes and your leaves respond by flagging.

Now you're making me feel sorry for a tree.

Next you're going to be telling me i need to treat it to breakfast in bed!

In all seriousness though I'll probably just water it everyday during the the hotter days.

Comment

Quince is from hotter climate (Turkey, Iran) but needs moist soil and fruits more if the summers are wetter than normal in those regions. There is also a belief that if quince trees fruit a lot, a harsh winter is on its way.
                            That's what surprised me as i know quince is usually grown in hotter climates than here but since this was in a small pot and the roots are short that's most likely why it dried out.

Comment

Here is a pic of fully ripened quince for everybody that is curious how it looks like!

Comment

Don't even think about eating a quince raw. It seems to dry up your mouth. However it makes lovely pink jam or it can be cooked in water and eaten as a dessert.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X