Quincemania

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fruitz View Post

It was sold to me as a half standard but the main stem is only 60cm high, hopefully the variety and the rootstock (quince A) listed are correct though as I've read that some of the varieties don't crop every year.
    Looks like a cracking tree - biennial cropping is in part about crop management (there are many factors but I'll just stick to this for simplicity).

In a year when you get lots of fruit set, go round the tree in late June or early July and take off at least 50% of the fruitlets (can be as much as 90%). This will mean better and larger fruits that year and also allow the tree to have enough reserves left to crop the next year too. Don't stint on the watering in the Summer - quinces love fresh water, as long as its not stagnant.
    Last edited by nickdub; 05-05-2018, 09:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by nickdub View Post
      Looks like a cracking tree - biennial cropping is in part about crop management (there are many factors but I'll just stick to this for simplicity).

In a year when you get lots of fruit set, go round the tree in late June or early July and take off at least 50% of the fruitlets (can be as much as 90%). This will mean better and larger fruits that year and also allow the tree to have enough reserves left to crop the next year too. Don't stint on the watering in the Summer - quinces love fresh water, as long as its not stagnant.
      Thanks, although i can't take any credit as that's how i bought it lol. The leaves were more upright when i 1st received it but they are drooping down now, i was a little concerned but it seems most of the quince tree images I've seen online have similar hanging leaves.

I was thinking of tying down the side branches a little to encourage it to spread out more but haven't decided. I know tying branches down is supposed to encourage fruiting but hopefully it doesn't reduce tree growth.

Thanks for the tips, I'll be sure to keep them in mind for when the tree starts fruiting, will also be sure to regularly water it.

Comment

You're very welcome. The feedback system in trees that regulates growth, which is what re-acts when you tie down a branch for example, is a pretty complex subject and one which I think is still being studied by scientists.

If you want to encourage fruiting and open the center of the tree a bit, I'd definitely advise tying down as the best method. It will mean you get a bit less extension growth, all other things being equal - if this worries you, adding some stable manure as a mulch or watering in some liquid fertiliser once a week, will balance up things.

Comment

My quince tree is in full bloom.

Comment

You're very welcome. The feedback system in trees that regulates growth, which is what re-acts when you tie down a branch for example, is a pretty complex subject and one which I think is still being studied by scientists.

If you want to encourage fruiting and open the center of the tree a bit, I'd definitely advise tying down as the best method. It will mean you get a bit less extension growth, all other things being equal - if this worries you, adding some stable manure as a mulch or watering in some liquid fertiliser once a week, will balance up things.
            I ended up tying the branches, nothing too major but it opened it up a bit

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180505_155359-1-1540x1825.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	249.2 KB
ID:	2378103

I'm planning on feeding it and using liquid seaweed foliar spray anyway so hopefully won't lose much growth.

Comment

Originally posted by Selymbria View Post
              My quince tree is in full bloom.

Looking good, mine came in to full bloom today too due to the nice sun we were having.

Have you measured the tree by any chance, just wondering how tall it is to produce that much fruit as it doesn't seem to be overly wide. Also is it just the timing of the pictures or do you have it in a shaded spot?

Comment

I ended up tying the branches, nothing too major but it opened it up a bit

I'm planning on feeding it and using liquid seaweed foliar spray anyway so hopefully won't lose much growth.
                Looks more or less what I'd have done, and you have a lovely sunny spot, so fingers crossed years of fruiting to come.

Just one point, there seems to be an almost vertical central leader branch ( maybe in part a trick of the angle the photo is taken from). There's nothing wrong with this as such, but it can be that that branch will dominate the res of the tree in time. It mostly then depends on whether you are happy with that look (bit more Xmas tree shape) or whether you want a more open tree (upside down umbrella) - if you chose the latter, then either next year or a bit later, a good part of that central branch will need to be pruned out.

Comment

Looking good, mine came in to full bloom today too due to the nice sun we were having.

Have you measured the tree by any chance, just wondering how tall it is to produce that much fruit as it doesn't seem to be overly wide. Also is it just the timing of the pictures or do you have it in a shaded spot?
                  That fence is 5ft tall so tree is about 10ft. Fence is on the east side and right of the tree is south, so tree has full sun.
                  Is there a way to learn what rootstock it is? I just learned there are different types.

Comment

That fence is 5ft tall so tree is about 10ft. Fence is on the east side and right of the tree is south, so tree has full sun.
                    Is there a way to learn what rootstock it is? I just learned there are different types.
                    Quite likely to be growing on its own roots ie not grafted. Have a close look at the trunk from ground level up to about 2' high - the join, if it is grafted, will almost always be visible as a change in the bark. Post a photo, if you'd like a second opinion :-)

Comment

Looks more or less what I'd have done, and you have a lovely sunny spot, so fingers crossed years of fruiting to come.

Just one point, there seems to be an almost vertical central leader branch ( maybe in part a trick of the angle the photo is taken from). There's nothing wrong with this as such, but it can be that that branch will dominate the res of the tree in time. It mostly then depends on whether you are happy with that look (bit more Xmas tree shape) or whether you want a more open tree (upside down umbrella) - if you chose the latter, then either next year or a bit later, a good part of that central branch will need to be pruned out.
                      Yeah that position get sun pretty much most of the day so hopefully the quince will do pretty well there.

The branch you mention is indeed vertical. I don't really want a triangle shaped tree, I think I'd be happier with an umbrella tree shape so if the vertical branch grows too high compared to the other branches I will indeed have to prune it back. For now I might just nick above the branch on the left as it is quite a bit smaller and weaker than the others.
                      Last edited by Fruitz; 06-05-2018, 08:35 PM.

Comment

As already said look towards the bottom of the trunk and see if you can see a joint, you should be able to see one on the picture on my tree quite clearly even with the mesh around it.

I think i see one on yours inside the red circle but a clearer picture of that area would be needed to be sure

Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-05-06 21.35.19-2054x2738.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	122.9 KB
ID:	2378112

If it's grafted then i would guess it's probably a quince A but if not then as already said it would be growing on its own roots and from what I've read can reach up to 5m in height.

Comment

Here is close shot, I think it is grafted.

Comment

Here is close shot, I think it is grafted.
                            You're probably right about it being grafted - one way to be sure would be to let one of the suckers from the roots, which currently have been pruned off, grow a bit. If the leaves on the sucker are different to those on the rest of the tree, then its definitely grafted.

Comment

Thats a good idea, thank you Nick

Comment

You're very welcome - happy gardening :-)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X