Preventing maggots in plums

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preventing maggots in plums

I like to get my pheromone traps for fruit moths out a bit early than usually recommended. Partly because of not wanting to forget, but also because I find that the weather has the biggest impact on what I catch regardless of the exact flowering dates. So warm still nights now the plums are in bloom are usually when I get most moths.

BTW being mean and as the refills are much cheaper than the whole caboodle is, I made a metal roofed tray thingy to put the sticky-card traps in, which I can re-use every year.

PS just to add this is not a complete eradication system - it does reduce the numbers, but the professionals boys use these traps to help time their sprays with which they can get almost 100% control.
    Last edited by nickdub; 23-04-2018, 10:11 AM.

Thanks for the heads up Nickbud. This will hopefully be the first year of fruit on my oldest plum. Would one expect low numbers in the first year if no other plum trees nearby ? If not what make of refill do you find the most effective please?

Comment

Quite honestly, if your plum hasn't cropped recently, and there aren't any others nearby, I wouldn't bother with the traps. Not everyone will get these pests and they take several years to build up to nuisance numbers. ( The moths you catch are the males, and they don't fly at all well and I think the females are either flightless or very nearly so.)

You'll soon know if they move in to be a bother BTW, as when you start on the plum you'll find an unwelcome pink grub eating away from the inside - usually near the stone.

I think I've only seen one manufacture of the plum moth pheromone traps - you can get them sometimes at garden centers, but from memory I think I bought my last set of refills off Amazon (I'm not at all keen on going out shopping)

Comment

Oops, I first read the title as preserving maggots in plums been a long day. As you were
        Last edited by Norfolkgrey; 24-04-2018, 02:40 PM. Reason: word repetition

Comment

Thanks Nickdub, that was the answer I was hoping for as being kept busy with vine weevil. However will mark calendar for next year

Comment

Had a look in my trap today and have around 10 moths so far - a lot less than I have had in previous years, but now the warmer weather is here the total may go up rapidly.

Comment

Just a reminder for people this year to order a refill of the Plum Moth pheromone lure if you had problems last year - obviously been a lot warmer this year, so the blossom here will be out in a few weeks.

Comment

Put my new pheromone trap lure out today (inclined to forget if I leave it ) and was surprised to find that the old lure had caught a couple of new moths (I just replace the lure, not the sticky sheet) - just goes to show that my policy of doing nothing much (ie being lazy) sometimes has a positive side to it.

The new lure was about £5, but I reckon its worth it if it keeps the moth numbers from getting worse.

Comment

Nickdub, while I remember to ask any chance of a picture of your patented "metal roofed tray thingy" sometime this year so I can knock one up next winter and just buy refills for it

Comment

nickdub
                    Many Thanks for the timely reminder, also the apples and pears.
                    Feed the soil, not the plants.
                    (helps if you have cluckies)

Man v Squirrels, pigeons & Ants
                    Bob

Comment

Originally posted by It never rains..it pours View Post
                      Nickdub, while I remember to ask any chance of a picture of your patented "metal roofed tray thingy" sometime this year so I can knock one up next winter and just buy refills for it
                      I don't do many photos - too lazy to get the camera, batteries etc all in one place, but if I get inspired by something-else I'll give it a go :-) (happens occasionally)

In the meantime what I did was :
                      1) buy a refill kit off the internet (probably Amazon)
                      2) take out the sticky cardboard bit and measure it
                      3) cut a piece of plywood a bit larger than the cardboard
                      4) cut a piece of zinc ( could be another metal, but that's what I had) the same length and half as wide again as the plywood
                      5) bend the zinc round to form a sort of domed roof for the plywood (obviously both ends are left open so the moths can fly in easily)
                      6) wrap a piece of wire round the lot, twist it together at the top of the roof with a bit bent over spare above as a hook to hang it up with
                      7) push the sticky pad with the lure on it inside

Comment

You're very welcome - Happy Gardening

Comment

Originally posted by nickdub View Post
                          I don't do many photos - too lazy to get the camera, batteries etc all in one place, but if I get inspired by something-else I'll give it a go :-) (happens occasionally)

In the meantime what I did was :
                          1) buy a refill kit off the internet (probably Amazon)
                          2) take out the sticky cardboard bit and measure it
                          3) cut a piece of plywood a bit larger than the cardboard
                          4) cut a piece of zinc ( could be another metal, but that's what I had) the same length and half as wide again as the plywood
                          5) bend the zinc round to form a sort of domed roof for the plywood (obviously both ends are left open so the moths can fly in easily)
                          6) wrap a piece of wire round the lot, twist it together at the top of the roof with a bit bent over spare above as a hook to hang it up with
                          7) push the sticky pad with the lure on it inside
                          Thank you Nickdub, I will keep a look out for suitable free materials passing by and knock a couple up this winter

Comment

you're more than welcome - checked my trap this morning as it happens, and there were more than 10 new moths on it.

Happy gardening :-)

Comment

Within 5 mins of putting up 1st trap this morning, 3 moths have met a sticky end.
                              Lost last chicken in June last year so that might have something to do with it.
                              Feed the soil, not the plants.
                              (helps if you have cluckies)

Man v Squirrels, pigeons & Ants
                              Bob

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X