Preventing maggots in plums

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nickdub View Post
    checked my trap this morning as it happens, and there were more than 10 new moths on it.
    Nick, it took me a long time to realise that these traps only give an 'indication' of when the moths are active and I still need to spray.

My question is what sort of numbers and over what time period indicates an invasion.

To use your example, is 10 a big number ? and over how many days e.g. one day or two days or a week.

Just interested 'cos like I said the penny has now dropped with me, pherome traps are an indicator not a cure haha.

Comment

Not sure what the answer to your question is - mostly because as I keep bees I never spray with insecticide any way, but also practically my one plum tree is about 40' high - I did know that the traps were only used by commercial growers as indicators, but I figure that something is better than nothing in trying to keep this pest under control - about 30 moths in my trap now BTW.

Obviously another way of breaking the pest's life cycle is to pick all plums as soon as they seem near ripe and check for maggots - but like a lot of these things unless you check the neighbours' gardens too, they can still be a reservoir of problems there for next year.

Comment

Well if the numbers have gone from 10 to 30 over few days that sounds like an 'invasion' to me haha.

Just for the record I don't spray unless there is absolutely no alternative. As it happens last year was a bumper year so I'm expecting the tree to have a bit of a rest this year.

Comment

There's definitively a problem - but then again I wouldn't be bothering faffing around with lures etc, if I didn't already suspect that .

Comment

I'm so glad I read this thread. I hadn't thought about putting traps out so early, put one out a few days ago and I've already got 15 of the blighters. How long will the lure last for? Should I replace it this year to carry on through the summer?

Comment

Originally posted by RedRuth View Post
              I'm so glad I read this thread. I hadn't thought about putting traps out so early, put one out a few days ago and I've already got 15 of the blighters. How long will the lure last for? Should I replace it this year to carry on through the summer?
              One per year is what I do - the manufactures recommend one early season, and one later on, but then it means they sell more if you do that, so .... :-)

Unfortunately sounds like you are in the same boat as me with a bit of a problem. If you possibly can when all the plums start to ripen pick them as soon as practical - if you can get rid of all plums with maggots, you can break the cycle - that's assuming your neighbors don't have plum tees which are affected of course.

Comment

Sounds like at least 4 of us will be looking for a solution to maggoty Plums.
                Last edited by fishpond; 31-03-2019, 08:28 PM.
                Feed the soil, not the plants.
                (helps if you have cluckies)

Man v Squirrels, pigeons & Ants
                Bob

Comment

Originally posted by fishpond View Post
                  Sounds like at least 4 of us will be looking for a solution to maggoty Plums.
                  One of those problems which I believe you have to think in terms of managing Rather than solving - - unless you are prepared to use an insecticidal spray, which is what the commercials growers do.

Comment

One per year is what I do - the manufactures recommend one early season, and one later on, but then it means they sell more if you do that, so .... :-)

Unfortunately sounds like you are in the same boat as me with a bit of a problem. If you possibly can when all the plums start to ripen pick them as soon as practical - if you can get rid of all plums with maggots, you can break the cycle - that's assuming your neighbors don't have plum tees which are affected of course.
                    My neighbour does have a plum tree but it's at least 20 metres away from mine. I've been very slack about getting rid of the infected plums, I intend to thin them out properly this year and dispose of all fruit in my home compost bin. I'm not spraying with insecticide, I may as well buy shop fruit if I do that, Victoria Plums are my favourite fruit so I'm determined to sort this problem out.

Comment

Depending on the stage you pick your plums at, composting may not be the safest option, unless your heaps get extremely hot.

Comment

Depending on the stage you pick your plums at, composting may not be the safest option, unless your heaps get extremely hot.
                        Good point! What method of disposal/execution would you recommend?

Comment

Originally posted by RedRuth View Post
                          Good point! What method of disposal/execution would you recommend?
                          Do you have any enemies with plum trees in their gardens? (Who live at least a few miles away?)

Comment

depends on how you feel about doing stuff I suppose - if I was short of plums I'd probably halve them and use for jam or something, but I do have a strong stomach - if I had a glut I'd probably just bin them or dump then at a recycling green waste disposal.

Comment

Nick you could make wine out of em .atb Dal.

Comment

I could indeed - as it is I eat a lot, freeze a few, make some jam and give the rest away

If I was up for anything along those lines, it would be making cider - however, although I've considered making a press , I've never been motivated enough to actually do anything ( that happens a lot with me )

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X