Espalier Apple Red Windsor - Please Identify Problem

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Espalier Apple Red Windsor - Please Identify Problem

Hi there, as well as my Conference Pear issue that I have just posted, I also have the same or similar problem with my Apple tree that I am Espalier ing. Bought last year and coming on well, or so I thought. Please see below photos. The leaves are going yellow and look like they are dying off. Soil is mix of homemade compost and top soil. It's currently in a pot in the final position as it's waiting for me to finish the border. Can sometimes get a bit dry but we tend to water well anyway.

Maybe it's normal but help much appreciated. I would like to give the growth a bit of a boost. I have both homemade Weed Tea and Manure Tea. Could any of those help at all?

Kind Regards........Rob

Click image for larger version

Name:	5128C6BF-3FB2-4CBA-9BD9-D62325B6DD8F.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	2405267
    Click image for larger version

Name:	9ECFB5EB-70FD-4A0B-B62A-30E0B1DCED0D.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	2405268

I wouldn't worry about it, it is just shedding old excess leaves. In winter give it a dressing of ffb or slow release fertilizer, not now though as there is little point in promoting soft growth to go in to winter with.

Comment

Originally posted by Norfolkgrey View Post
      I wouldn't worry about it, it is just shedding old excess leaves. In winter give it a dressing of ffb or slow release fertilizer, not now though as there is little point in promoting soft growth to go in to winter with.
      Many thanks Norfolk, much appreciated.

Kind Regards.........Rob

Comment

Now they have flowered and I have about 8 apples, they are not turning red. They are Red Windsor. Is it usual for them to be still green.

Kind Regards.............Rob

Comment

Do they get plenty of sun?

Comment

2 year old espalier with 8 apples - please tell me it's not still in that tiny pot?

It's a young tree and with the funny weather this year may well have just shut down during the dry spell, most of mine feel about 2-3 weeks behind where they normally are. Are they still very green and not ripe or just not as bright red as advertised.

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
              Do they get plenty of sun?
              Yes, plenty

Comment

Originally posted by Lardman View Post
                2 year old espalier with 8 apples - please tell me it's not still in that tiny pot?

It's a young tree and with the funny weather this year may well have just shut down during the dry spell, most of mine feel about 2-3 weeks behind where they normally are. Are they still very green and not ripe or just not as bright red as advertised.
                No, it’s in the ground, not pot.

Pretty much 95% green all over wth a bit of brown like flecks. Don’t look ripe yet to me.

Am I doing something wrong maybe?

Last edited by Dynamite; 02-09-2018, 10:15 PM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Originally posted by Dynamite View Post
                  No, it’s in the ground, not pot.

Pretty much 95% green all over wth a bit of brown like flecks. Don’t look ripe yet to me.

You say the tree is " in the ground " - does that mean that you've cut off the bottom of the pot in the photo and let the the roots go down into the ground through it ?

Comment

Originally posted by Dynamite View Post
                    There's not really a lot you can do wrong so I doubt that's the issue. Id have thinned to perhaps 4 fruit but that's me. I don't grow RW myself but Id have expect it to be showing at least some colour by now, but 2-3 weeks can make all the difference, a photo may help.

Are these your very first apples from the tree ? It's not unheard of for a tree not to be as advertised.

Comment

I was reading these reviews & someone says they picked theirs in October,they just need a bit more time to colour up,they’ll be lovely
                      https://www.orangepippin.com/apples/red-windsor

Comment

Here is a red windsor (taken today) for colour comparison.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by nickdub View Post
                          You say the tree is " in the ground " - does that mean that you've cut off the bottom of the pot in the photo and let the the roots go down into the ground through it ?
                          Of course not, it planted in the ground properly.

Comment

Originally posted by devonuk View Post
                            Here is a red windsor (taken today) for colour comparison.
                            Wow, mine are like that except the red bit is green! Lol

Comment

Originally posted by Jungle Jane View Post
                              I was reading these reviews & someone says they picked theirs in October,they just need a bit more time to colour up,they’ll be lovely
                              https://www.orangepippin.com/apples/red-windsor
                              Thanks for that, I think best to leave them and see what happens to see if they go red.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X