No announcement yet.

Espalier Apple Red Windsor - Please Identify Problem

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Could you show us a photo of the tree and its apples please?
    It would help us to help you.

Comment

Originally posted by Lardman View Post
      There's not really a lot you can do wrong so I doubt that's the issue. Id have thinned to perhaps 4 fruit but that's me. I don't grow RW myself but Id have expect it to be showing at least some colour by now, but 2-3 weeks can make all the difference, a photo may help.

Are these your very first apples from the tree ? It's not unheard of for a tree not to be as advertised.
      Yes, first time I’ve had apples on it. I think I will leave it for a good 4 weeks to see if they turn. I’m assuming they don’t start red and that they start off green and then go red as they get bigger maybe.

Kind Regards.............Rob

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
        Could you show us a photo of the tree and its apples please?
        It would help us to help you.
        I will try, don’t always have luck with getting them on. I will go now.

Comment

Photos

Hi all, here goes.... here’s the photos I just took.

Click image for larger version

Name:	85EB5BEF-7943-4508-998F-1DB0A85B3A41.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	2380529

Click image for larger version

Name:	E7CBAA8B-1553-4B9E-BE92-4C711EA5E371.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	2380530

Comment

I had problems with red Windsor when I had it in the ground, but I potted it into a 50ltr tub filled with john innes No3 and we picked them today and put them into the shed for later use, picked 4 eating apple trees and one Bramley, so all stacked and wrapped up, at a guess somewhere between 60-70lbs, incredible the amount of fruit this year considering the late spring and short but hotter summer, still, we are set up now..

Comment

Originally posted by BUFFS View Post
              I had problems with red Windsor when I had it in the ground, but I potted it into a 50ltr tub filled with john innes No3 and we picked them today and put them into the shed for later use, picked 4 eating apple trees and one Bramley, so all stacked and wrapped up, at a guess somewhere between 60-70lbs, incredible the amount of fruit this year considering the late spring and short but hotter summer, still, we are set up now..
              That would point to wrong soil type wouldn’t it?

I wonder what the ideal soil would be and what I could add to improve it.

Comment

[QUOTE=Dynamite;1618649]That would point to wrong soil type wouldn’t it?

I wonder what the ideal soil would be and what I could add to improve it.

Kind Regards.............

I do think that the john innes No3 gives what seems to be ideal growing medium, my garden soil varies from yard to yard, from acidic in some areas to very alkaline in others, a very old garden, considering some of the things dug up when reforming the garden, I do think that the tub was a good idea in my situation, best of luck with yours....we have never had better, bigger, healthier russet apples in the 15yrs they have grown here, mouthwatering, a very strange year...

Comment

Originally posted by Dynamite View Post
                  Of course not, it planted in the ground properly.

Hi Rob,
                  I'm a bit lost - the tree in the photo appears to be in a pot - are you describing a different tree altogether or have I got the wrong end of the stick some other way ?

Nick

Comment

Originally posted by nickdub View Post
                    Hi Rob,
                    I'm a bit lost - the tree in the photo appears to be in a pot - are you describing a different tree altogether or have I got the wrong end of the stick some other way ?

Nick
                    It was just in a pot when I bought it on the original image post from 2017. It’s been in the ground since a few days after that.

Comment

OK, with you at last - thanks for clarifying.

Comment

I am not an expert but I don't think you have a problem here. You seem to have a healthy tree with healthy apples on it. I am not at all confident the apples are red Windsor, going by the colour, but if they aren't they aren't. I have never heard that apples which ought to be red come out green because of deficiencies in the soil, it's much more likely the tree is wrongly named. If you like the apples anyway that is not a problem. Of course if we don't know the variety we don't know when the apples are due to be ripe, so the answer is either wait till they start falling off or periodically raise a fruit so the stalk is horizontal and see if it parts from the tree.

If you do like the fruit enough to keep the tree it might be worth either deblossoming it altogether next year or restricting it to just a couple of fruit to give it a chance to put on some more growth.

Edited for typo
                        Last edited by devonuk; 04-09-2018, 09:47 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X