X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ladybirdbug
    replied
    Originally posted by fishpond View Post
    Dig out the top spit, dig in plenty of coarse grit and some well rotted manure/home made compost below where the top spit was.
    Replace the top spit and lay minimum of 2-4" of manure on top and gently firm.
    Whilst you are doing this, remove any weeds/big stones you come across.
    In future years just put compost/well rotted manure on top but not touching the stems of any soft fruit, else you may get fungal/rotting problems.
    Clay soil is normally very fertile, so it just needs opening up which the grit and manure and worms etc will do.
    Thanks fishpond! Vey helpful indeed

Leave a comment:

• fishpond
    replied
    Dig out the top spit, dig in plenty of coarse grit and some well rotted manure/home made compost below where the top spit was.
    Replace the top spit and lay minimum of 2-4" of manure on top and gently firm.
    Whilst you are doing this, remove any weeds/big stones you come across.
    In future years just put compost/well rotted manure on top but not touching the stems of any soft fruit, else you may get fungal/rotting problems.
    Clay soil is normally very fertile, so it just needs opening up which the grit and manure and worms etc will do.

Leave a comment:

• ladybirdbug
    started a topic Raised netted berry bed?

Raised netted berry bed?

Hi folks,

Last year I bought lots of various berries and currants - Raspberries x1, a red currant bush, a white currant bush, a black currant bush, blueberries x3. I am new to gardening and put them all in large pots, they seem to be doing well. I don't want to put them directly into the ground as my garden is very clay-like.

However, this Spring I would like to make some sort of large netted raised berry bed. Has anyone done this? As I am new to gardening, I have some questions. How do people with very stodgy, clay like soil make the soil well draining? Would I need to make a pebble layer?

Thank you for any help that you are able to provide!

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
Working...
X