Espalier Apple Training

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Espalier Apple Training

I have just bought an Apple tree, Red Falstaff. I will be training as Espalier up a fence. I do not want to remove the rather nice branches up high ut i wat the first tier about a foot from the floor. As you can see, there is none currently. How can i start atier that low. I read somehwere sbout "chipping".

Regards............Rob

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6182.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	2404276

Lob the top off, remove the couple of odd side branches and notch just above the buds where you want to promote growth

(It was mentioned in another thread recently but the OP is being brave and cutting the whole tree)

Comment

Thank you. I want to promote growth between the bottom of the plant and the first large tier. Do you think that would work still?

Regards......Rob

Comment

Lobbing his head off will encourage branches along the trunk and the bud below the cut. Notching encourages growth below the cut esp. the bud immediately below. There are no guarantees but will certainly give you a good chance of what you want to achieve.

Comment

Many thanks. Not sure how to notch.

Comment

The idea is to create break the cambium layer which stops the hormone getting to the bud that prevents it branching.

Take a knife and score above a bud all the way into and past the green layer. Use a dull knife or a hacksaw blade as too sharp and clean a cut will heal too quickly. Make sure you cover all the bud but don't score all the way around.

I've not had much luck with it to be honest, I have a gala and a KRO which simple refused to branch until I cut their heads off.

Looking at our tree you have 2 potential arms around 36", the feathery bits can be removed. Id say 12" for the first tier is too low but if you want it there look for 2 buds pointing the same way as the 2 stronger branches. You'll save yourself a year if it works but if it doesn't you'll have to top it next year and you'll end up being a year behind (which is what I had to do).

Comment

Many thanks everyone. I have just notched both my Pear and apple. FINGERS AND EVERYTHING CROSSED NOW.

Kind Regards.........Rob

Comment

Thanks everyone.

UPDATE.......

I've started a new thread at http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ork_94566.html as the notching didn't work...

Regards Rob

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X