Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tayberry advice

Hello

Just looking for some advice experience with my two Tayberry plants. They are only coming into there second year this summer so will be getting my first fruit. Inregards to the new growth this year what method have you adopted to keep the new and old branches seperate so I know which to cut away at the end of fruiting season? I have read up about a couple methods just wondering what people do with theirs.

Thank you

I do the same as I do for my blackberry. Train year one growth to the right of the plant along the fence then train the new grown in year two to the left while the fruit is on the other side. Cut back the canes that have fruited and then repeat with year three where year one was if you see what I mean. It's a right pain if they get mixed together both to harvest and prune.
    Last edited by Alison; 21-05-2016, 06:08 PM.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Ditto the above.
      Feed the soil, not the plants.
      (helps if you have cluckies)

Man v Squirrels, pigeons & Ants
      Bob

Comment

Thank you for advise... was worried people were going to say this stupidity I have placed two tayberries next to each other and not fanned them the one way... doh! So I have two raspberries one year of canes left and right. Have you ever read about using twine to tie all new growth together to keep seperate?

Otherwise I will just train new growth one way this year to make my life easier next...

Thank you...

Comment

I found they only threw up 2 or 3 canes so never became crowded. As the "old" ones were brown and the new one green it was easy to work out which was which.

Basically leave them to fruit, then remove the woody brown canes towards the end of the year, leaving the green new canes to develop on.

If really lazy (I qualified) you can just leave them as I found that they have green new canes, brown/green woody 1 year canes, and then the old canes go brown produce some fruit then die. So you cut out what is then the dead cane.

If not a thrornlees variety you need good gardening gloves, I am talking heavy duty leather here. Good seceteurs help. Even with these do not expect to escape unscathed.
          Last edited by Kirk; 22-05-2016, 06:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kirk View Post
            I found they only threw up 2 or 3 canes so never became crowded. As the "old" ones were brown and the new one green it was easy to work out which was which.

Basically leave them to fruit, then remove the woody brown canes towards the end of the year, leaving the green new canes to develop on.

If really lazy (I qualified) you can just leave them as I found that they have green new canes, brown/green woody 1 year canes, and then the old canes go brown produce some fruit then die. So you cut out what is then the dead cane.

If not a thrornlees variety you need good gardening gloves, I am talking heavy duty leather here. Good seceteurs help. Even with these do not expect to escape unscathed.

Another qualified lazy person here.

I use this method too, just cut away the dead stuff. That goes for all my Rubus-y plants.

Comment

Originally posted by Shaydee View Post
              Another qualified lazy person here.

I use this method too, just cut away the dead stuff. That goes for all my Rubus-y plants.

On the years I've been lazy and followed (is it following if you're doing nothing?) this route I've sworn to never let it get like that again as its been such a mesh of canes that have been a nightmare to unravel. Maybe depends on the soil / variety. Admittedly I don't find tayberries as vigorous as blackberries but still enough of a pain.
              Last edited by Alison; 22-05-2016, 12:11 PM.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                On the years I've been lazy and followed (is it following if you're doing nothing?) this route I've sworn to never let it get like that again as its been such a mesh of canes that have been a nightmare to unravel. Maybe depends on the soil / variety. Admittedly I don't find tayberries as vigorous as blackberries but still enough of a pain.
                I just found that the Tayberry I had simply grew up to 3, often just 2, big long canes. No idea of the variety. So it never ended up as a bush where you had to fight your way in to prune hidden dead bits, as per a blackberry bush.

I also suspect it was fear of going near the thing. Did not fancy the idea of being rushed to hospital with loss of blood and having a tayberry telling me to come back again if you think you are hard enough.

Comment

Thank you everyone for advice definitely have thick thick gloves, kids told never to touch.....

I will try and grow new in one direction but inevitably end up letting it sprawl and go for the relaxed appeoch llater....

Comment

Brilliant question, and very relevant.. I planted my two tayberries out yesterday!

They are next to my shed (south facing) and I am putting wires across to tie into!
                    Reading the above, I'll probably pinch Alison's suggestion and tie one year to the left, the next to the right, then chop the first, and continue..
                    Brilliant advice..thanks!
                    <*}}}>< Jonathan ><{{{*>

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X