Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just Bought a Grape Vine. How Do I Look After It?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think you are probably ok for this year but ultimately it would be better in the ground. From what I can gather the best way to plant is to have the roots outside and train the stems inside.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
      If you don't mind modifying one of your greenhouse panels, they prefer their feet in the cool & their heads in the warmth. I had a similar greenhouse on my plot & I cut a 2" hole in one of the panels, planted the grape outside then fed it through the hole so it grew inside. It all depends on the variety.
      Oh, that's interesting! I'd never have thought of doing that. I have some thinking to do :P

Comment

If you don't want it in your greenhouse, they can get huge, plant it against a south facing wall. They have a big root run.

BTW where are you?
        Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

Originally posted by roitelet View Post
          If you don't want it in your greenhouse, they can get huge, plant it against a south facing wall. They have a big root run.

BTW where are you?
          Devon I will consider this, thank you

Comment

I'm in Wiltshire and I have a grape on a South facing wall. I usually get too many grapes to use them all.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
              I'm in Wiltshire and I have a grape on a South facing wall. I usually get too many grapes to use them all.
              That's promising! Do you have it in a pot by a south facing wall or in the earth by a south facing wall?

Comment

Used to live in North Devon and my vine fruited well and it wasn't south facing
                Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

Whatever you decide Wild, it would be better in the ground. It will split a pot in no time.
                  sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                  --------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                  -------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                  -----------------------------------------------------------
                  KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
                    Whatever you decide Wild, it would be better in the ground. It will split a pot in no time.
                    Thanks for the info!

Comment

I've merged your threads about the grapevine, in case you're wondering where the latest one has gone

Comment

I have two inside greenhouses and one outdoors. Because of a possibility of moving home next year, I am also growing one in a pot as a standard. This is only its first year so we shall see!
                        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                          I have two inside greenhouses and one outdoors. Because of a possibility of moving home next year, I am also growing one in a pot as a standard. This is only its first year so we shall see!
                          Hahaha, you've got all the bases covered! Love it

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X