Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cracks?

Hi Folks,
    I am worried about 2 of my apple trees, they are about 5 years old now.
    they have developed a few deep cracks in the trunks and some branches?
    They have put on a spurt of growth- could this be the reason?
    Thanks Headfry

Hi Headfry. Not sure really, it could be something to do with the growth spurt & all the rain we've been having. Sometimes cracks in the bark are a sign of canker which you are supposed to cut out but that's not always practical. I've had canker on an ornamental cherry tree for years & it's still going strong so I don't think I'd worry too much about it. The only thing is deep cracks can allow viruses in & moulds etc. to develop & if it happens to be in the fork of a tree or where a branch joins the trunk it can weaken them & cause a break in heavy winds etc.
    Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

If they are close to your house, you may have to cut them down.
      "I got a business card, 'cause I want to win some lunches. That's what my business card says: "Mitch Hedberg, potential lunch winner."
      Gift ideas... fruit baskets or gardening kit?

Comment

They are on my plot.
        looked at some canker stuff, they dont look like that to much.... just deep, clean cracks. How do you get canker?

Comment

Viral infection I think Headfry, carried by an insect probably. Couple of thoughts, you could get a tin of wound seal and paint the cracks over to seal them and reduce the chance of something nasty getting in, you could 'bandage' the wounds with something to achieve the same effect.

Painting is probably better, will move with the tree, won't constrict the growth...

Possible causes, the rain causing softening of the ground and an increase of movement in the tree when the wind blows. Check any stakes, or put one in if needed.

Weight of fruit putting a strain on the tree (my problem, the branches are twisting themselves off!) thin the fruit and support the most affected branches. The problem solves itself when the fruit is gathered later this year!

Hope this helps

Terry
          Last edited by TPeers; 13-07-2007, 08:43 AM.
          The weeks and the years are fine. It's the days I can't cope with!

Comment

One of my apple trees split like that last year ( in the drought period!!!!)
            We just painted wound seal on the affected area and waited for the tree to die!
            Bless me, but the tree was fine this spring, and no further problems.
            That tree was about 5 years old too and I now wonder if we didn't prune it enough the year before.
            I am a complete novice with fruit trees and bushes but am starting to realize you can't just leave them to nature as everything seems to want to eat/rot/or breed on them!!!
            "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Nicos - did the tree have a heavy crop last year?
              The weeks and the years are fine. It's the days I can't cope with!

Comment

Yes it did- and I hadn't the heart to this them down by more than 40%- I also only lightly pruned them, so your idea about the weight must be spot on!
                "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

The cracks look as if they are starting to grow new bark, if I paint them now will it hurt, there are small cracks on some of the branches. Even the non fruiting trees are suffering! The trees look ok though some leaves and new soft growth is a little wind damaged.
                  Daft as if sounds- the cracks/splits seem to look healthy, just as if they have been slashed????? ( I hope its not mischief)
                  Maybe its the drought last year and all the rain this year, I wonder if thats possible?
                  Thanks for all your help, I would be very upset if it was canker. Trees were gifts.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X