No announcement yet.

Apple advice - calling FB Flummery VeggieChicken and everyone else

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm after a tree to go along side my James Grieve, but needs to be more scab resistant as I'm in Scotland(which can be damp at times), any suggestions for a slightly smaller tree?

Comment

Originally posted by burnie View Post
      I'm after a tree to go along side my James Grieve, but needs to be more scab resistant as I'm in Scotland(which can be damp at times), any suggestions for a slightly smaller tree?
      Choosing the right rootstock will help a lot with keeping the tree to the size you want. Some varieties grow faster than others even when on the same rootstock.
      From what I've seen, in conditions it likes (cool, damp), James Grieve is a bit more vigorous than average.
      Unfortunately damp means scab risk and JG varies in resistance depending on where it is grown - in areas where it is common it has poor resistance.

Do you know the rootstock? (assume MM106 if the tree is less than 40 years old and you have no idea).

Has the tree become large simply because nobody trained it properly and kept up with the yearly pruning (or at most every two years)?

If the variety you choose is related to JG the diseases will find it easier to jump from one to the other.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
      Working...
      X