Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Plants from pips/stones and kitchen scraps - a Challenge ;)

Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My lemon pips are still alive. Still sitting on top of damp soil covered by a single ply of toilet paper.

I'm not sure when I should plant them into pots of soil to take their chances.

Comment

Lemon pips are coming along nicely in their 2 inch pots.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1-IMG_20191109_094229.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	2385706

Comment

Originally posted by lolie View Post
        I have 3 lemon pips sitting on my window sill and two out of the three have sprouted. Two avocado seeds are sitting there and have done nothing so far. Going to add some mandarin seeds to the collection and see how they go.

I've grown capsicums and tomatoes from the seeds of bought produce and got good crops. I also plant the bottoms of spring onions because I'm incapable of growing them from seed.
        I've found a reliable way to sprout avocados is to suspend the stone in the neck of a jam jar of water with cocktail sticks. When they split and sprout I've planted then out into a pot.

Comment

Originally posted by greenishfing View Post
          I've found a reliable way to sprout avocados is to suspend the stone in the neck of a jam jar of water with cocktail sticks. When they split and sprout I've planted then out into a pot.
          I have them suspended like that. They've well and truly split so I'm just waiting for sprouts to appear now.

Comment

Loquats...last year I collected some of these seeds when we were on holiday.
            Planted them up and I have 10 sturdy plants growing in the greenhouse.
            Nice looking plants but the information says they will need to be growing for several years before they produce fruit.

And when your back stops aching,
            And your hands begin to harden.
            You will find yourself a partner,
            In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Not a fruit or an edible.
              Three years ago I sowed some Jacaranda seeds.
              I have 6 plants and have overwibtered them successfully in the greenhouse.
              They make lovely plants with lovely ferney foliage.

And when your back stops aching,
              And your hands begin to harden.
              You will find yourself a partner,
              In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

I've got some supermarket peanuts growing.

Click image for larger version

Name:	peanuts.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	2385752
                Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
                Endless wonder.

Comment

Originally posted by mothhawk View Post
                  I've got some supermarket peanuts growing.
                  Alas, they succumbed to red spider mite, which appeared from who knows where, but probably the store bought compost.
                  Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
                  Endless wonder.

Comment

I have tried almonds and lychees. The suspected almond was planted outside and has overwintered.
                    I have done red pointed peppers from Aldi and they are up. I got one fruit last year before blight killed everything. Majhil dates have done well but need to be very big before they produce fruit.
                    Pommigranet seem to also be frost proof as I left one out last year and it is trying to grow again.
                    Avocados are almost frost proof and will grow outside if you get one of the temperate ones from your local supermarket.
                    I had two fig seedlings from chucking the dust from a fruit and nut mix on the ground. These have proved to be frost proof and are fast growing. The fruit and nut mix came from a middle eastern run shop. they will most likely be from the highland area of the middle east where the winters can get pretty chilly at times.
                    I have got a lemon tree that is a foot tall in an unheated lean-too that comes out in the summer. If it produces fruit I have promised to buy a model of an American car called an Edsil that is hailed as being a "lemon" due to it being a corporate disaster when it was launched to market. I will build a model car port that clips onto the edge of the pot. I have seen lemon trees 2 foot high with ripe fruit on sale last year in Aldi. I wonder if that will ever happen...
                    I have also been trying kiwi fruit and have had some seeds that have sprouted. They need to be dry in winter so they are a challenge in out red clay soil.
                    Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

Originally posted by Runtpuppy View Post
                      I had planted a stone fruit seed... well, I say planted when I mean chucked it into a spare pot which is used for chucking all kinds of things I am too lazy to plant properly. Also, I say stone fruit because it could be apricot, peach, or nectarine (or plum?). I thought I'd remember what it was without labelling it.
                      Update: So the greengage (for that's what it was! I remembered!) is growing quite happily. It's got plenty of new leaves.

Last autumn, I pinched some twigs off a yellow gage tree and stuck a couple of them in the soil and tried grafting one of them on to the greengage... I figured these were all 'free' so I don't have anything to lose.

Right now, while the greengage has leaves, the yellowgage graft doesn't have any. However, under the bark, it's still green so I have my fingers crossed. (Also, the twigs I stuck in the soil also have leaves growing.)

In other news, I got a romano pepper in one of the boxes with recipes and ingredients for the recipes and thought I'd save seeds. I sprinkled the seeds a bit too liberally in the propagator and I now have more Romano seedlings than I'd ever need. (Does anyone want some?)

I also have lemon seedlings (and trying to get custard apple seeds to sprout). Not too optimistic about the lemon seedlings, though. They always sprout for me but the plant ends up dying soon-ish. Never had one grow more than 3 inches.

Comment

Has anyone found a persimmon with seeds in it?
                        They are apparently frost proof so could be planted outside.

Comment

I planted some avocado seeds outside last year and some of them are budding side shoots. The tops frosted off over winter.
                          I must have sprouted 50 seeds before I got one that would overwinter.
                          We have got a couple more frosty nights to go and if the buds survive I may have an avocado tree.
                          Getting fruit is a big challenge even in the south but you never know.

Comment

Originally posted by Plot70 View Post
                            Has anyone found a persimmon with seeds in it?
                            They are apparently frost proof so could be planted outside.
                            You won't find any in this country.
                            Almost all non-astringent (which are the only kind sold in supermarkets here) persimmons are parthenocopic, which means they set fruit without pollination, and therefore have no seeds.

Comment

Originally posted by ameno View Post

You won't find any in this country.
                              Almost all non-astringent (which are the only kind sold in supermarkets here) persimmons are parthenocopic, which means they set fruit without pollination, and therefore have no seeds.
                              I was wondering if any odd ones do get pollinated so that we can grow the seed on.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X