Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Fruit Cage - ideas please!

Hi all,

I picked up a fruit cage cheap on eBay last year and am wanting to finally set it up in the next week or so ready for planting. I've made a plan and was looking for some advice. I can't precisely remember the size but it's at least 4mx4m as per the plan if not a little bigger.

Questions:
    How much gap is sensible to leave between the netting and anything i plant? I plan to have a central path with side paths T'ing off it so think I don't need to get around the edge myself.

I'm planning on 4 Autumn and 4 Summer raspberries. Is that roughly right for a family of 4?

Not so sure about the number of strawberries. Was thinking of planting 6 in year 1 and a further 6 in year 2 or 3 so that when year 1 start to fail i should still have a further year or two from the second bed in which to improve the bed and plant new plants. Sensible or not?

What should i plant as well as raspberries and strawberries? Thinking a black and a red currant. Worthwhile or not? More than one needed for a decent crop? Anything else i should be considering instead?

What order should i plant them in? As per the plan (if North is at the top)? Which raspberries should be in the northern most row if i have two rows? Autumn or summer variety? I'm thinking Autumn needs to go to the north to prevent shading the earlier ripening fruit... is that right?

I'm thinking of installing a root barrier around the raspberry beds to limit suckering where i don't want it. I was thinking about using garden edging sunk to nearly flush. (Like this stuff http://www.amazon.co.uk/Flexible-Gar...dp/B007MA778O/)

And was thinking i should put vertical boarding at the base of the net so i can strim up to it without shredding the netting.

Anything else i should consider?

Many thanks in advance,

Stan
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Stan79; 15-01-2015, 09:32 PM.

I wouldn't put strawberries in there, but in a separate bed (with hoops and netting) and put more fruit bushes in the cage to make the most of the height. Alternatively, plant the strawbs along the edge of the paths on the sunny side of the bushes.
    Someone who knows what they're talking about will be along soon

Comment

Ah... ok. Good point about using the height. Strawbs that i currently have are in a large wooden planter but didn't do much last year.

Comment

I agree with VC - I wouldn't waste the space by having strawberries in there.

From what I understand, raspberries are OK for a bit of shade, therefore having them at the northerly point would make sense.

What about having some blueberry plants with cranberries amongst them in the middle section.

Then moving the currents to the front most southerly point for maximum sunshine. ???
        .......because you're thinking of putting the kettle on and making a pot of tea perhaps, you old weirdo. (Veggie Chicken - 25/01/18)

My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnC..._as=subscriber

Comment

Not being a great eater of berries in the past, but wanting my family to have a good diet, what do people do with cranberries, blueberries, currants, etc? On cereal? In baking? Fruit salads? etc, etc?

Comment

My raspberry canes have arrived today but we had a hard frost last night. Should i plant up in large pots first? If so, how many can i fit into what sized pot? I've got 10 in total...

Comment

You can stuff all 10 in a single pot with some moist compost around them. When the ground is ready for planting just shake the compost off the roots and plant them. No need to pot individually, they aren't going to "grow" as such (well ... assuming you plant them in the next few weeks and don't put them anywhere warm in the meantime!) so its just to get some moisture in contact with the roots so the plants don't dry out.

You might find it easier to get "dry" compost (straight from the bag, without adding water) around the roots and then water the pot with a watering can & rose. The plants won't drink much this time of year, so not too much water and they won't need any more until planting (unless bad weather delays you significantly)
              Last edited by Kristen; 20-01-2015, 05:36 PM.
              K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

Stan, I commend you on your plan and thoughts it seems you need confirmation rather than needing any knowedge. I think what has been said is sound advice (as would be expected).

For your interest, here is my plan. Look at garden, find spare space, plant something in it. It doesn't work very well though.
                photo album of my garden in my profile http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...my+garden.html

Comment

personally i would not put raspberries in a cage,as when they send up new stems,they will not be the same place you planted,the root system runs under the soil,and end up where you do not want it,i have never had a bother with them being eaten,before you know it you will have plants to give away,
                  sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

I find that redcurrant bushes (when mature) can be heavy croppers. I tend to get as much from one of those as three blackcurrant bushes....though that might just be my rubbish gardening; redcurrants thrive on neglect!

As for what to do with them, berries are wonderful in so many things and freeze so beautifully, I don't think you'll ever have too many. As well as proper recipes, a bag of mixed berries in the freezer can be added to any cakes before baking or can be piled on top of ice cream after Sunday dinner....I promise you'll use up all you can grow!
                    http://goneplotterin.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by lottie dolly View Post
                      personally i would not put raspberries in a cage,as when they send up new stems,they will not be the same place you planted,the root system runs under the soil,and end up where you do not want it,i have never had a bother with them being eaten,before you know it you will have plants to give away,
                      I am planning to "pen them in" with a root barrier to prevent them from spreading to widely. Interesting that you say the birds don't go for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Stan79 View Post
                        Interesting that you say the birds don't go for them.
                        I planted "some for me, some for the birds" as I have plenty of space, but generally have no problem with the birds. Did last year though; no idea why, I presumed that with the ultra mild winter whatever food source should have been available to them was early so they turned on my Raspberries for a couple of weeks. Hope they didn't get a liking for them!
                        K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

We have one raspberry which i netted last year. The fruit near the net were whipped off very quickly so i think the birds near us might have already developed a taste for them!!!

Comment

Stan your plan looks very good.we have a family of 5 and have 6 Summer and 6 Autumn raspberry canes of different types.best thing I ever planted.The runners are a pain so the root barrier is a good idea,also the boards for strimming. My OH strimmed all around my new fruit cage and it became an aviary!
                            I also have a dessert gooseberry and large sweet blackcurrent bush which are very successful .in a bed filled with ericaceous compost I grow 3 blueberry bushes with cranberries underneath .The blueberries are prolific and are actually very nice on cereal,baking etc as you suggested.
                            Underplanting my raspberries with strawberries didn't work as the former take over.I am intending to add another fruit cage but plant the strawberries in tall thin beds so that they are off the ground as I have a lot of problem with slug damage and mice.
                            Good luck with your project.Its my most productive area of my veg patch in terms of quantity and financially.
                            Gardening forever, housework whenever!

Comment

Lovely! Thank you. Good to know about cranberries underneath the blueberries and that you think the root barrier might be worth the work!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X