Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Raspberry Variety?

Dear Learned Friends

I know absolutely nothing about soft fruit growing but want to grow some Raspberries that have either finished fruiting by mid August or bare fruit mid September on. Can you suggest any varieties that cover this period and also when should I plant them. Also if these can be taken as hard wood cuttings when is best?

In anticipation Greenleaves
    Last edited by Greenleaves; 22-10-2014, 05:40 PM.

Well GL, in those timeframes you can have Summer varieties that should be finished mid August then you can have Autumn varieties that fruit into October.
    sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Thanks BM, most of the sites state, early, mid and late. Am I safe to assume that I need early and late then?

Comment

Planning your holidays GL?
        Can't really help with varieties and I think cropping times may be affected by the weather. You may not be able to be too specific about start and finish dates.
        Not sure about hardwood cuttings either? I take the suckers from the rootstock and plant those out.

Comment

I'm only aware of Summer & Autumn varieties so the mid one is new to me. Hopefully someone can shed some light on this.
          sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
          --------------------------------------------------------------------
          Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
          -------------------------------------------------------------------
          Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
          -----------------------------------------------------------
          KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Have a look at our very own GYO Growing guide
            Growing Raspberries | How To Grow | Grow Your Own

Comment

Raspberry Canes For Sale | Buy Bareroot Raspberry Plants Online

I've ordered a few raspberry canes from the above site.

Now, the range isn't extensive, and they are probably not the cheapest, however when you click on "full details" for each plant, it gives you a general idea of ripening periods.

As has been stated though, I suppose weather conditions play a big part.
              .......because you're thinking of putting the kettle on and making a pot of tea perhaps, you old weirdo. (Veggie Chicken - 25/01/18)

My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnC..._as=subscriber

Comment

I now only grow Joanj,not only does it taste good,but like other autumn fruiter's,it is easy to look after,also does not need a frame or staking with wires,give the new roots a good food bed,and they start to grow shoots up in the later spring,after fruits are done with,cut all to the ground,give a dressing of mulch,i have just done mine with the comfrey,some part rotted and some fresh,i got mine in a raised bed area,so i know where they are after they been chopped down,that way they will not get trod on,if you keep a mulch on them it helps with the weeds,as you do not want to hoe as the roots are near the suface and will get damaged.
                sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X