Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apple tree in blossom in October.

Hi everyone

I'm looking for an explanation for why my apple tree cordon has decided to flower this week. The other 3 are doing nothing. I pruned about a month ago.

Also, any advice about what to do about it? Should I leave the flowers on? Should I remove them? Does it matter?

Many thanks for your help

Kate

I suspect it is the prolonged warm spell we have had. Well I'm assuming you've had the same but there's no location in your profile. My strawberries are flowering again, I doubt they'll crop. You say you pruned late summer, why did you do it then as there are different reasons for summer and autumn pruning.

Sent from my iPad using Grow Your Own Forum

Comment

Hi there and welcome to the Vine!

I think it's just the unseasonably warm weather we are having totally confusing the tree!
      I have a magnolia with a few flowers on it.....the 3rd flowering this year!!!

If it's new or in a pot I'd remove the flowers so it's not wasting energy, but, if it's established and in the ground I would just leave it and the frost will see the flowers off.
      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

We had a bit of cold weather followed by warm weather. The same thing happened when we had that 25 degrees C October a couple of years ago. But it does seem to say that fruit needing a hard cold winter to initiate fruit buds is a load of rubbish

Comment

My Jonagold has just come into flower again - Ill take the flowers off as we may not get a frost for a while. Not seen that before, but then the tree is only a 4yo and fruited for the first time this year. Perhaps its got a little cocky!
          Le Sarramea https://jgsgardening.blogspot.com/

Comment

I had a few flowers on a Bramley last month, one of them even started growing the apple! Like WendyC and Fleurisa, I assume the warm September weather following a cool August confused it.
            Last edited by Martin H; 02-10-2014, 10:36 AM.
            My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
            Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X