'baby' cherry tree wanted

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'baby' cherry tree wanted

I am new in growing things and a cherry tree is something I always wanted.

Does anyone has a small one that can share with me?

Or an anyone tell me if I can grow one from a branch taken from another tree? If yes how to do it?

Chilliesguy please have a read here at the forum T&C :-

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...nce_76437.html

you can do your own cuttings here's a link to an older thread :-

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ree_31177.html
    Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Fruit trees aren't usually very successful from cuttings - most don't root (they just rot), or root poorly and take a long time to get going.
      There are a few varieties of each which root more easily.

Fruit trees grown from cuttings will have no size control; they will grow until they reach the size they want, which will vary by variety and won't necessarily be the size the owner wants.
      Cherries in particular make large, fast-growing trees whose invasive roots can cause problems with lifting pavements or damaging pipes and foundations if planted near buildings.
      Large cherry trees are also difficult to pick (too high), and if the trees aren't netted or caged most of the fruit ends up being eaten by birds before it is ripe enough for humans to eat.

The easiest option for most people would be to wait until late winter when various discount shops (and even Tesco or Homebase) carry cheap end-of-season fruit trees that nurseries need to shift.
      Most of the clearance stuff is on medium-vigour rootstocks which make small but free-standing trees around 3-4m in size - such as Colt (cherry), MM106 (apple), St.Julien A (plum) and Quince A (pear). Those rootstocks are suitable for most locations, although they can struggle in some of the light, sandy, chalky or dry soils found in some parts of Eastern and South-Eastern England.

Alternatively, get some rootstocks (blackmoor sell them for £2-3 each) and graft one of your own, from a tree you like.

It is worth noting that cherries tend to prefer being on very strong rootstock (seedling, F12/1, Mazzard) and grown in a light sandy soil in a hot, dry, sunny climate - and do best in East Anglia. Cherries often don't like cold, wet, dull climates where they can suffer from pollination problems and diseases such as canker.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
      Working...
      X