How tall do raspberry canes grow?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How tall do raspberry canes grow?

I was working on my new allotment today, clearing away brambles at the back of the plot. I have seen some sticks coming out of the ground that I think might be raspberry canes. They look like thin wooden "branches" just growing straight out the ground but they are very tall - some of them easily 6ft hight.

I spoke to the plotowner on the adjacent plot and he said he thought there were raspberries on mine.

How tall can raspberry canes grow if they are left unattended? Should I prune them now or is it too late?

Thanks
    Likac66

Living in her own purple world

Loving gardening, reading, knitting and crochet.

They can be 6' tall quite easily. I get lost from sight in my raspberry jungle. Are they budding? or are they dead, with new shoots coming up at the base?

Comment

Originally posted by Likac66 View Post
      How tall can raspberry canes grow if they are left unattended? Should I prune them now or is it too late?

Thanks
      Depends on the variety, but summer fruiting raspberries can easily reach 6 feet.

They also fruit on canes produced the year before (which at this time of year will look quite dead). If you cut them all down now you won't get any fruit this year.

I would leave them alone for this year and see what sort of fruit harvest you get.

Comment

Sounds like they could be raspberries then. My kids will be pleased! They are budding. I will take some pictures tomorrow.
        Likac66

Living in her own purple world

Loving gardening, reading, knitting and crochet.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X