growing Cherries

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• growing Cherries

I am new to growing fruit and have brought 2 sunburst cherry trees, plus 2 Braeburn apple trees and 2 conference trees.... However after reading up a bit (late as it maybe) I wanted to grow the cherrys in pots and the apples and pears as Espalier.. They are all bare root and 2 years old... Can I still grow them as planned or do I have to plant them and hope I have enough room in my garden??? John.55

You might be able to grow the cherry trees in (large) pots - but it depends to some extent on the rootstock the trees are on, do you know what it is? Ideally it would be Gisela 5.

You should be able to re-train the apple and pear trees as fans. Normally you would start with a 1-year tree and cut it back to about 18" / 40cm. You may find your 2-year trees have some branches already in the right place, in which case you may be able to remove the others and then shorten the remaining ones. It will look a bit untidy for a couple of years but should sort itself out eventually.

Comment

Thats great news thanks, as for the root stock the names on the tree and not the root however I have sent off an email asking the suppier what root stock it is .... Many thanks PS I will start traing the cherrys in 2 milk churns, which have drainage etc: Again Many thanks J

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
      Working...
      X