Where do i get materials to build fruit cage

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where do i get materials to build fruit cage

I want to build a fruit cage approx 10-12 foot wide by about 26 foot long, I was thinking of round posts about 8ft high, 4" wide but i can't find any for delivery, is this the best way to do it -we're not allowed to use concrete to bed in and i can't afford metposts to hold in place. Can anyone give site to buy posts. Thanks

Try this site 3'' round timber | Grangewood Fencing Supplies Ltd

Or you could ask on your local Freecycle.

Comment

How are you going to keep 8' high posts in place? Or even knock them in in the first place? Especially if you can't use concrete or metposts?
      Have a look here and see if it gives you any ideas Build Your Own Cages - Fruit Cages - Harrod Horticultural (UK)

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
        How are you going to keep 8' high posts in place? Or even knock them in in the first place? Especially if you can't use concrete or metposts?
        Have a look here and see if it gives you any ideas Build Your Own Cages - Fruit Cages - Harrod Horticultural (UK)
        You hire a post hole borer then there is no knocking in.

Colin
        Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Potstubsdustbins View Post

Colin
          Or do what I did and ask your son to come round and help

Comment

Originally posted by Potstubsdustbins View Post
            Colin
            Now you know what a DIY Dumbo I am - as if you didn't before

Comment

Not a fruit cage, just poles for a support wire system for my blackberries.

I used 300 cm long chestnut poles, untreated. I used a pole hole borer, drilling holes up to 80 cm deep.
              Main advantage of chestnut poles: they aren't straight so you can't set them straight :-)
              Last edited by sugar; 07-10-2012, 05:46 AM.

Comment

Thanks ,but only 2 feeble daughters, can i borrow 1 or better still i'll get my hubby to do.

Comment

use CLS lengths from B&Q for £3.98 per length

CLS Timber (L)2400 x (W)89 x (T)38mm, 5022652650230
                  Last edited by MrBloom; 07-10-2012, 01:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MrBloom View Post
                    use CLS lengths from B&Q for £3.98 per length

CLS Timber (L)2400 x (W)89 x (T)38mm, 5022652650230
                    But that's square, and the original poster wanted round poles.

Comment

whats the difference if there round or square they both do same job and that CLS is dirt cheap

Comment

Originally posted by MrBloom View Post
                        whats the difference if there round or square
                        One has corners the other doesnt....

You may want to try wickes they have 8 foot round posts and do deliver for a small fee.
                        Oh and the post hole borer (auger) is a great idea available to hire from most tool hire shops, i hired one from hartley hire - petrol powered.
                        Last edited by crichmond; 07-10-2012, 04:01 PM.

Beware Greeks bearing gifts, or have you already got a wooden horse?... hehe.

Comment

i wouldn't bother with wickes. they sell absolute rubbish there timber is shaped like hockey sticks and they sell buckets with holes in bottom. the amount of rubbish ive heard people buy from there is shocking. i know you want round posts but if you want to keep costs down use CLS lengths

Comment

Well mine have been in the ground 4 years so far and no sign of them deteriorating.
                            I dont see how you can say all wickes stuff is rubbish just on things you have heard.
                            Just like most stores its best to pick the items personally that way if there is an item that isnt upto standard you can choose not to take it, I once had a bag of spinach with a caterpiller in it from icelands it doesnt mean everything they sell is rubbish.
                            I suspect the bucket with holes in it was a weed burning bin

Beware Greeks bearing gifts, or have you already got a wooden horse?... hehe.

Comment

i have heard multiple complaints about wickes from a few tradesmen friends i have and i trust there opinions 100% but like you say you can only try for yourself if you want to
                              Last edited by MrBloom; 07-10-2012, 07:29 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X