What type of compost?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What type of compost?

Back to my idea of growing a quince tree...

I'm now getting quince (and grape vine!) cuttings from three different people on Edinburgh Freecycle group (I didn't expect such a response). How do I propagate them?

I wouldn't like to gamble so was going to plant them in pots and use rooting powder. What type of compost should I use? Can I use the same compost for quinces and the vine?

Many thanks

Depends on whether or not your cuttings are rooted, Alexx. If they're not rooted they need to go into pots of really free draining sandy compost, or as they are hardy plants into a shady border outside - keep an eye on them and water if necessary. If the cuttings are already rooted, just pot them on into a slightly larger pot (multipurpose compost should be fine). When large enough plant into permanent positions.

Comment

Thanks, thay are not rooted. I've actually been invited to cut them myself

So if i mix multipurpose peat based compost with a little sand - would that be ok? (Sorry if I'm asking obvious things).

Comment

ALEXX
        Have you tried the jel pots cant remember what they are called, the kit contains foil covered pots with jel in them you puncture the foil insert cutting into the jel, the pots go into a small propagator that keeps the jel in the dark so the roots grow, they work very well with fuchia's and geraniums.

Comment

The easiest way Alexx is to make a slit trench by just sticking your spade in and opening it up a bit then put some sharp sand in the bottom ( about an inch or so) and then put the cuttings in and firm the soil back with your foot.

To prepare the cuttings, cut kust below a shoot/bud and take off the buds from the bottom 4" as these will only rot in the soil. your cutting want to be about 8" in length.

They are normally done over winter but you may be OK. Keep them shaded & moist but not wet.
          ntg
          Never be afraid to try something new.
          Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
          A large group of professionals built the Titanic
          ==================================================

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X