Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pink lady apple tree

hi,
    i really want to grow my own pink lady apples, we eat quite a few of them resenly but they are very high in price (£4.35 a killogram). does anyone know where i can get one of these trees ?,because i cant find them anywhere.
    thanks

Blackmoor Fruit Nursery - Large selection Of Quality Fruit Trees

If you have a search on this forum you can find out a lot more info about them

Comment

Pink Lady was bred for the fruit and a full chemical spray routine. It is not very disease-resistant, so you should be prepared to spray against various pests and diseases. However, you may "get lucky" and not have those diseases in your area.

Also bear in mind that Pink Lady was bred for growing in the warmer climate of Australia. There's a good chance that apples grown in anything other than the mildest parts of the UK (or against a sheltered South-facing wall) will be small-sized, have less flavour, altered flavours or more acidity.

Comment

thanks scott, that website is good actually, very reasanable prices too. think i might go and order myself one.
        thanks

Comment

Sorry for dragging an old thread out of the vaults, but I was chatting with my OH about buying an apple tree (what an exciting life we lead!), and she said she wanted a Pink Lady - but it looks like that's not going to be the best choice for our location. So can any apple expert grapes recommend a hardier breed that might have some of the qualities of a Pink Lady apple in terms of taste/texture without the need for any molly-coddling?
          He-Pep!

Comment

I found Pink Lady (Cripps Pink) just to be sweet and crisp but having nothing in terms of flavour. I honestly couldn't tell the difference between Pink Lady, Gala or Jonagold

There are a few sites listing varieties which grow well up there, but it does limit your choice somewhat. https://www.ashridgetrees.co.uk/gard...-north-britain has a shortlist. And Scottish & Heritage Apple Varieties Looks worthy of a read.

Some of the American apples handle cold well but normally want a long season to go with it.

Then there are the usual questions of soil type, planting aspect, number of local trees for pollination, attitude towards spraying and pruning etc.

Comment

Thanks for the links Lardman, I have come across the second one already. Yes there are a lot of variables, and I'm a total novice, so I won't be expecting too much to be honest. My soil is heavy clay, generally on the acidic side, but well cultivated (old allotment site), and my plot is sunny for most of the day in summer. There are plenty of other apple trees on adjacent plots for pollination.

I like the look of Greensleeves and Fiesta, both available from Blackmoors.
              He-Pep!

Comment

Id be a little concerned about canker with Fiesta, Topaz keeps cropping up in my searches but I can't comment on it from personal experience as does Opal both from eastern europe.

It's so hard to just pick one you could do what I've done and plant loads

Comment

Don't have room for loads, I just fancy a couple of tasty and reliable ones. What makes you think Fiesta will suffer from canker?
                  He-Pep!

Comment

As a variety it is susceptible to it by default, https://www.orangepippin.com/apples/fiesta and I image it's pretty damp, wet and cold up there which are ideal conditions for bacteria

If there are other trees on your site chances are someone somewhere has it and the spores will be looking for an easy target.

Having said that your micro-climate might not be an issue though - it's where local knowledge is helpful.

Comment

Interesting, thanks. Maybe i'll swap out Fiesta for Discovery?
                      He-Pep!

Comment

Discovery are early and don't keep. Not a problem if you have 2 or 3 trees but I wouldn't want to use all my years apples in a week or two. If you're thinking of blackmoors specifically what about falstaff, lord lambourne or even winter gem. They are moving more towards complex flavour rather than sweet and crisp one of the pink lady though.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X