'all gold' raspberry

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'all gold' raspberry

I've been thinking of getting some 'All Gold' raspberry canes. I've done a search on here and read that seem people have found them to be very delicate (falling apart before they make it home). I mostly want them to make jam, so it doesn't really matter to me that they fall apart. But how do they taste?
    Hill of Beans updated April 18th

Gorgeous! I grew up with these as a kid as my father gathered a few of these from an abandoned WW2 Raf camp near to where I grew up. Apparently the Yanks had brought them over during the war and they had continued to grow away happily. In the years since people thought I was mad when I mentioned orange/yellow raspberries but now I have a bunch in pots producing huge juicy fruit. However actually beating my one year old to them is a hell of an achievement, he loves em!

Dave
    Fantasy reminds us that the soul is sane but the universe is wild and full of marvels

http://thefrontyardblog.blogspot.com/

Comment

I want some as well, they taste absolutly gorgeous my OH's niece has some and keeps promising me some roots but she always forgets so will buy some instead.
      Gardening ..... begins with daybreak
      and ends with backache

Comment

I picked mine up on Ebay last year from this guy,

Jane Lane Nurseries
        Jane Lane,Catforth
        Preston, Lancashire PR4 0HS

They were cracking canes, really healthy and strong and I ended up with a load of fruit. You can find the nursery on Google if you put the name in.

I actually saw the fruit for sale for the first time in Sainsburys last year as part of a fantastically expensive mixed fruit tray.

Dave
        Fantasy reminds us that the soul is sane but the universe is wild and full of marvels

http://thefrontyardblog.blogspot.com/

Comment

I've got 3 well established plants now, given as 3 sticks in a pot a few years ago. The fruit is delicate, but I usually eat them while at the lottie or added to porridge, so it's not really an issue. Taste is really the same as red, but I like to have different colours.

Comment

Never grown them myself but the people on the next plot have them and gave mne a few to try - they are fantastic, and didn't seem any more delicate than any other rasp to me.
            Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Originally posted by gan heather View Post
              But how do they taste?
              They honestly taste like a raspberry should taste.

Comment

I think I may be parting with some more money now ...
                All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Thanks for that everybody. I think you've made my mind up for me...
                  Hill of Beans updated April 18th

Comment

I got some of these from Aldi in their offer packs of 3 shrubs for £2.49 the other week. I got 'normal' raspberries too.

Comment

I have been growing an autumn fruiting yellow raspberry for a few years now. It has been quite prolific and a really strong grower. However I have replaced it this year with a red variety. Everyone who has tried them think they are wonderful. However there is just something about them that I didn't take to. To me they were just to insipid. Not sure though which variety they were though.

Ian

Comment

Bit late... but for me, between them and glem ample the all gold is nicer - it's a much more mild taste. However, I find that they are very delicate. My all golds don't have churn out a lot of fruit mind. Much more than my summer fruiting ones. Bonus is they'll fruit on this years wood too

Just wanted to comment on the delicate part of them... someone else has mentioned this beefore - SarzWix maybe?

Comment

They are a great raspberry and delicious too
                          Attached Files
                          http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/sarajjohnson
                          http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...blogs/pipkins/

Comment

Only thing that I found a bit odd, as is you notice the little bits (hairy things) on them as you can now see them more. But yep, we made a load of jam from them - so damn nice, much nicer than normal jam.

Most people think it's going to be marmalade but then when they taste it, are like "whoa? its not organey! hehe".
                            Attached Files

Comment

...and then they're like whoa! it's sideways on!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X