Potentially Daft Question...

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jeanied View Post
    So no takers for the recipe for Ratafia of Quinces then?
    You must have gone back to the days of good queen Bess for that one.

OK I admit that in the 17th century there were more recipes for quinces than for any other fruit. But Cherry or Apricot or Peach Brandy is more acceptable to the modern palate IMHO. I make all of these and did once try Ratafia of Quinces. I'm afraid, although it was OK, the others were more popular.

I must see if I can find a medlar liqueur recipe. If I can, I promise to send you a (small) bottle but as my medlars aren't bletted until mid to late November I doubt if you'll get it for Christmas.

Edit: Found two recipes. One takes 6 months, the other, a year. Send you it for Christmas......... 2011.
    Last edited by sarraceniac; 29-05-2010, 04:56 PM.
    Why didn't Noah just swat those 2 greenflies?

Why are they called apartments when they are all stuck together?
    >
    >If flying is so safe, why do they call the airport the terminal?

Comment

You say the nicest things, Sarra.
      For those of you who are wondering what the heck we are going on about, here is a receipt.

Quince Ratafia.
      You must have some Quinces, and rasp them with a Grater; all being grated, you must have a Piece of strong Cloth, put in a small handful, and squeese it with all your Might, that the Juice may come from it; when all is squeesed and you have all the Juice, put it in a Preserving pan, let it take just one single Boiling, and let it cool; being cooled, measure two Quarts of Juice and two Quarts of Brandy, Measure by Measure, and clarify some Sugar; to each two Quarts, ten Ounces of Sugar, a Piece of Cinnamon, four Cloves, and three or four Grains of white Pepper whole; stop up your Jug very close, put it aside for two or three Months, put it through a Straining-bag, until it come very clear, and put it up in Bottles flopped very close.
      From Vincent la Chapelle, The Modern Cook (London: 1733)
      Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

I don't know what you lot are on about - quinces are superb !! So what if you can't eat them raw and they need cooking - they make a wonderful zingy jelly - and I can sell as much of it as I can make - not only beacuse it takes nice and zingy and is a lovely colour, but because unlike a lot of other jellies, you don't see it in the shops - especially up here.
        The owner of the walled gardenI am renovating / reclaiming likes my jelly so much, she is buying two cydonia quince trees for that very purpose.
        As to what you do with Quince Jelly - delish on it's own spread on toast, or with cold meats, cheese, game - treat in the same way as you do Rowan Jelly.
        Rat

British by birth
        Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
        http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

Awww. C'mon Rat. Everybody knows that crab apple jelly does all that plus it tastes good.

>

Comment

Quinces, every autumn have so many of them some get dumped usually - and medlars - and as for ratafia, J made some last year tho it was the traditional type with ronce and apparently it tastes terrific.
            TonyF, Dordogne 24220

Comment

I'm looking forward to a few nice ratafia recipes on the 'juicy gossip' thread and membrillo recipes on the 'making the most' thread, come the autumn, folks! I had to look up ronce TonyF and am now the wiser (blackberries!).
              Last edited by Jeanied; 30-05-2010, 08:47 AM.
              Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Originally posted by sarraceniac View Post
                Awww. C'mon Rat. Everybody knows that crab apple jelly does all that plus it tastes good.
                Not denying that - I make Crab Apple, Rowan and Quince jellies but the quince jelly is just that wee bit different. (and if you are implying quince jelly doesn't taste good.............)
                Rat

British by birth
                Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
                http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

Quince jelly makes a lovely addition while roasting pork lamb or beef. Keep basting the meat in jelly and meat juices and afterwards you have a lovely gravy/sauce too.

Comment

I only wanted to know if I had to leave the flowers on and look what's happened while I was on holiday...

Comment

Originally posted by basketcase View Post
                      I only wanted to know if I had to leave the flowers on and look what's happened while I was on holiday...
                      Yes. But wouldn't it be boring if peeps just gave straight, ordinary answers to questions?

>

Comment

Originally posted by sarraceniac View Post
                        Yes. But wouldn't it be boring if peeps just gave straight, ordinary answers to questions?

True - and at least nobody started on p*****ps!

Comment

Originally posted by Jeanied View Post
                          You say the nicest things, Sarra.
                          For those of you who are wondering what the heck we are going on about, here is a receipt.

Quince Ratafia.
                          You must have some Quinces, and rasp them with a Grater; all being grated, you must have a Piece of strong Cloth, put in a small handful, and squeese it with all your Might, that the Juice may come from it; when all is squeesed and you have all the Juice, put it in a Preserving pan, let it take just one single Boiling, and let it cool; being cooled, measure two Quarts of Juice and two Quarts of Brandy, Measure by Measure, and clarify some Sugar; to each two Quarts, ten Ounces of Sugar, a Piece of Cinnamon, four Cloves, and three or four Grains of white Pepper whole; stop up your Jug very close, put it aside for two or three Months, put it through a Straining-bag, until it come very clear, and put it up in Bottles flopped very close.
                          From Vincent la Chapelle, The Modern Cook (London: 1733)
                          Fancy a go at this, Jeanied

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X