Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Outdoor Wonder' melons

Hi
    have just ordered a couple of Outdoor Wonder outdoor melons and just wondered if anyone else has tried these and how they grew etc.Did you use pots-if so what size and do they need piching out etc-any help appreciated as not tried these before and as we are due a hot summer thought I'd give them a go!

I grew 2 plants last year, just for novelty really ! and got 2 melons !!!

Comment

So I might get 2 or 3 then-did you grow them in containers?

Comment

Originally posted by keepondiggin View Post
        So I might get 2 or 3 then-did you grow them in containers?
        in a raised bed, they produced more fruit, but most of the fruit refused to get any bigger than a lemon ! it was probably me doing something wrong as i`d never grown them before, the 2 melons i got tasted very nice though, but i dont think i would grow them again as they took a lot of room up for just 2 fruit. i was told i could not grow them in my poly tunnel as they cross pol with cucumbers and make the cucumber bitter and a odd shape !

Comment

I tried these last year but the moment I planted them out in the raised bed they turned up their melony toes and died. However, not one to give up too easily, I'm trying again this year but will be putting a polythene cloche over the bed to increase sunlight/temps. Hope that does the trick
          come visit a garden
          or read about mine www.suburbanvegplot.blogspot.com/

Comment

im growing melons from shop bought melons, i have foung honeydews have a high germination rate but the hard thing is keeping them alive, i grew some last year, they flowered and fruited but it came out very small.
            Dont judge a plant by it's pot.

Comment

Thank you for the replies-I think I'll just give them a try and any fruit will be a bonus!

Comment

Just following on from this... I have got 4 Outdoor Wonder Melons growing well indoors in 3" pots, so I am wondering when I should try transplanting them outside to my allotment. Anyone tried this before? Many thanks.
                Last edited by BenLothair; 02-05-2010, 06:24 PM.

Comment

I'm growing one melon indoors - planted into a bucket and one out. The outside one I've just potted up and will keep in for at least another couple of weeks as the night temperatures are still very cold.

Comment

Very excited as I achieved Outdoor Wonder germination this week! Am monitoring the seedling situation almost hourly. Been putting it outside in the greenhouse on sunny days this week and bringing back into the kitchen each evening.
                    come visit a garden
                    or read about mine www.suburbanvegplot.blogspot.com/

Comment

outdoor wonder melon

Originally posted by keepondiggin View Post
                      Hi
                      have just ordered a couple of Outdoor Wonder outdoor melons and just wondered if anyone else has tried these and how they grew etc.Did you use pots-if so what size and do they need piching out etc-any help appreciated as not tried these before and as we are due a hot summer thought I'd give them a go!
                      They are all growing well, but I am not sure what I should do next. They are ina grow bag, not tied up as yet. Help please

Comment

So it's now August and i have small melons appearing - v exciting!

But how do I know when they are ripe? Any good clues to look for?

Thanks

Comment

You can tell a melon is ripe by the smell - if you have it enclosed in a cloche then you can tell when you take the cloche off. And gentle pressure at the flower end - just as you test for ripeness in the shop.
                          Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Thanks, Jeanied, the smell did indeed give me the best guidance. In the end, I got about 3 melons per plant, and one plant grew especially good size melons. All tasted great! I will definitely have another go next year.

Comment

Melon breeding seems to have come on in recent years and I think I will have a go next year. Many years ago, when I last had a go, I could never get more than 1 fruit per plant.
                              As with all home grown fruit there is nothing to compare with the exquisite taste.

Ian

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X