Planted Victoria Plum today.......

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pigletwillie View Post
    To restrict vigour and promote better fruiting Snadg you can tie string to the main branches and bring them down and tie the other end of the string to the post. this forms big almost heart shapes and saves you havingto prune much to boot.
    Thanks piglet, seem to recall tying string onto apple branches with a brick hanging on end somewhere, Is it something to do with getting more fruiting spurs if branches aren't vertical or something? Hence the reason cordons/espaliers bear more fruit I would guess?
    Last edited by Snadger; 27-12-2006, 09:12 PM.
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Aye tis true but the best bit is that it doesnt grow 20 ft high so you can reach all of the fruit easily.

Comment

Originally posted by pigletwillie View Post
        To restrict vigour and promote better fruiting Snadg you can tie string to the main branches and bring them down and tie the other end of the string to the post. this forms big almost heart shapes and saves you havingto prune much to boot.
        Well piglet, I've done the deed today (nearly put my eye out a few times when branches decided they didn't like there new position) but ebventually I've got most of them tied in. There is one branch which doesn't seem to want to bend, and I'm frightened I'll snap it! Think I'll leave that one a while longer and have another go when i've got more (Dutch!) courage, chillie vodka time perhaps!
        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I trussed mine up in December Snadger.

Comment

That sounds painful Piglet!!!
            [

Comment

It was LJ, but only for the plum.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts