Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pro's and cons of bare rooted v pot grown?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pro's and cons of bare rooted v pot grown?

It's a good time of year for planting soft & hard fruit bushes.

Normally bare rooted plants are roughly half the cost of pot grown specimens!

Are bare rooted plants worth the cost savings to be made, or should we stick with pot grown plants?
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

I got all my fruit from cuttings....best way of all, for nowt!
    Geordie

Te audire non possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure

Comment

Originally posted by Geordie View Post
      I got all my fruit from cuttings....best way of all, for nowt!
      Totally agree Geordie,and I have done this with soft fruit but I fancy an apple tree, grafted on to a dwarfing rootstock and I have seen the same plant at £9.99 bare rooted, or £23.99 pot grown! I just wondered what success rate was gained by bare root plants, or does it not make much difference this time of year?
      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I have 2 dwarf apple, 1 dwarf cherry and 1 dwarf nectarine...all bought dwarf rooted....all only 2 years old but so far so good....if that helps!
        Geordie

Comment

Pot grown can be planted at any time of the year Snadger whilst bare rooted are sold only during the dormant seasonand are intended for planting then.

Bare rooted plants are generally field grown and generally make the more robust plants eventually but can take a while to "get going" as they lose some root when being dug up.

Pot grown specimens can end up being pot bound if they hang around too long and are at the mercy of the retailer for water and food.

Where available I would buy bare rooted but like Geordie, I always root my own from prunings and either use these or pass them on.

Comment

Originally posted by Geordie View Post
            I have 2 dwarf apple, 1 dwarf cherry and 1 dwarf nectarine...all bought dwarf rooted....all only 2 years old but so far so good....if that helps!
            Thanks Geordie, 100% take then? Think I'll go for the bare rooted and save some money then!....... Just out of interest I presume the nectarine is grown indoors, or is it potted and movable?

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I'm training it fan shaped in greenhouse
              Geordie

Comment

We have done the same with an Apricot in out polytunnel. Another is in a barrel that gets moved into the greenhouse in the winter. Our bare root plum was 5 years old but bore fruit this year and it was only planted in March.

Comment

Thanks Pigletwillie....never thought of the bare rooted being more robust and as you say pot grown plants could be potbound and have a chequered history!

Must admit the replies are the opposite to what I thought they would be, I thought it would be " Forget about bare rooted, they're cheap rubbish! Pah!"

Just goes to show, once again, you're never to old to learn!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Most bare root trees are grown in the soil so have reosably unrestricted growth where as the others you cold pot up in pudding basin nearly
                    ntg
                    Never be afraid to try something new.
                    Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
                    A large group of professionals built the Titanic
                    ==================================================

Comment

Sorted, I hope!

Thanks for all your advice. I am now the proud owner of a bare rooted dessert apple tree.

Apple
                      Malus domestica Sunset

Sunset apple is very similar to Cox but much easier to grow. An excellent garden substitute for Cox particularly for regions where Cox can not be grown successfully.
                      Use: Dessert
                      Season of Use: Oct-Dec
                      Colour: Flushed
                      Flavour: Aromatic
                      Origin: Kent UK 1918
                      Pollination Group: C
                      Self-fertility: Self Fertile

Went to several Garden Centres who I believe have lost the plot as far as plant sales are concerned. Loads of choice, but NO bare rooted and very,very expensive.
                      All they seemed interested in was Santa's tacky grotto (Humbug!) and selling overpriced clothes to passing yuppies. They even have a delicatesen!

Anyway, gripe over, went to Homebase who had four varieties of bare rooted appples. Fiesta, Sunset, Ellisons Orange and greensleeves. Didn't want green apple(greensleeves) so after returning home and having a look on net, plumbed for Sunset as it is self- fertile (others are partially self-fertile)

I knew there was only one Sunset apple left so shot back over to Homebase and collared it, few broken tips but all in all it seems in good nick!

Cripes this reply has turned into an epic! Never mind why use one word when 200 will do?

Quite pleased with my £9.99's worth, now all I need is for it to stop raining and blowing a hooley so I can get it planted.

Anyone any idea how long it will be before I get any apples?

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Good one, Snadger - know what you mean about garden centers, there's one round here which is brill in the spring / summer but totally useless after about September as it has a Halloween spectacular followed by Santa's grotto, had problems even finding some ericaious (OK, can't spell!) compost the other week and you've no chances with seeds. Tend to get any trees etc via mail order as you get such a good choice, don't go in Homebase much as have always found it pretty expensive but after your success may try again.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Were lucky here as J cole and Son are just around the corner. They grow trees and shrubs for most of the big garden centres etc and have quite a gfew plantations nearby.

My Victoria plum cost £22 but was nearly 10' high, was 5 years old and fruited this year and It was only planted in February.

Comment

Were lucky here as J cole and Son are just around the corner. They grow trees and shrubs for most of the big garden centres etc and have quite a gfew plantations nearby.

My Victoria plum cost £22 but was nearly 10' high, was 5 years old and fruited this year and It was only planted in February.
                            You're right, Piglet! You are VERY lucky..................... and I'm just jealous!!!!!

However, I'll be very impressed with myself if I've got this quote business sorted, been trying to work it out for ages!

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

With a bit of luck & a following wind I would say you may have apples around September You may want to limit the crop this year though to allow it to establish.
                              ntg
                              Never be afraid to try something new.
                              Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
                              A large group of professionals built the Titanic
                              ==================================================

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X