Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pro's and cons of bare rooted v pot grown?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pigletwillie
    replied
    We have done the same with an Apricot in out polytunnel. Another is in a barrel that gets moved into the greenhouse in the winter. Our bare root plum was 5 years old but bore fruit this year and it was only planted in March.

Leave a comment:

• Geordie
    replied
    I'm training it fan shaped in greenhouse

Leave a comment:

• Snadger
    replied
    Originally posted by Geordie View Post
    I have 2 dwarf apple, 1 dwarf cherry and 1 dwarf nectarine...all bought dwarf rooted....all only 2 years old but so far so good....if that helps!
    Thanks Geordie, 100% take then? Think I'll go for the bare rooted and save some money then!....... Just out of interest I presume the nectarine is grown indoors, or is it potted and movable?

Leave a comment:

• pigletwillie
    replied
    Pot grown can be planted at any time of the year Snadger whilst bare rooted are sold only during the dormant seasonand are intended for planting then.

Bare rooted plants are generally field grown and generally make the more robust plants eventually but can take a while to "get going" as they lose some root when being dug up.

Pot grown specimens can end up being pot bound if they hang around too long and are at the mercy of the retailer for water and food.

Where available I would buy bare rooted but like Geordie, I always root my own from prunings and either use these or pass them on.

Leave a comment:

• Geordie
    replied
    I have 2 dwarf apple, 1 dwarf cherry and 1 dwarf nectarine...all bought dwarf rooted....all only 2 years old but so far so good....if that helps!

Leave a comment:

• Snadger
    replied
    Originally posted by Geordie View Post
    I got all my fruit from cuttings....best way of all, for nowt!
    Totally agree Geordie,and I have done this with soft fruit but I fancy an apple tree, grafted on to a dwarfing rootstock and I have seen the same plant at £9.99 bare rooted, or £23.99 pot grown! I just wondered what success rate was gained by bare root plants, or does it not make much difference this time of year?

Leave a comment:

• Geordie
    replied
    I got all my fruit from cuttings....best way of all, for nowt!

Leave a comment:

• Snadger
    started a topic Pro's and cons of bare rooted v pot grown?

Pro's and cons of bare rooted v pot grown?

It's a good time of year for planting soft & hard fruit bushes.

Normally bare rooted plants are roughly half the cost of pot grown specimens!

Are bare rooted plants worth the cost savings to be made, or should we stick with pot grown plants?

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
Working...
X