When fruit tree trunks split...

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When fruit tree trunks split...

Help! Anyone know how to repair a split fruit tree trunk?
    Tried Googling to no effect. Any ideas gratefully received.
    Thank
    Jules

try this link. It is mainly about repairing storm damage but there is a bit about split trunks in there somewhere. http://www.kbs.msu.edu/extension/storm/

Comment

Hi Jules, is it the apricot tree you asked about before? Fraid I'm not a tree expert but I also found the website mentioned by monkeybum above & it may help you. I think it depends on how big your tree is & how bad the split is. You may need to get a tree surgeon in if you want to save it or you could just try bracing the two arms together & supporting the branch which has started to hang down with some kind of forked stick. Most sites say don't use wound paint or anything on the split as it doesn't help & the wound will callous over by itself, I don't think your tree will knit back together though so it will need supporting permanently.Maybe you could try taking cuttings & starting a new tree, I've no idea if this works with apricots though.Most trunk splits are apparently caused by storm damage or extremes in temperature,drought or periods of excessive growth spurts.Mulching the base of the tree with wood chippings or similar & a bit of T.L.C. won't do any harm.Hope it recovers.
      Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

Thank you very much for that, Mokeybum - that's given me some ideas to try.
        Regards
        Jules

Comment

Hello Sue A - thanks very much for your reply. Yes, it is the apricot tree I asked about before, the tree is about 6ft tall. I'm definitely going to try to save the tree. As the tree is on my vineyard in Slovenia it is indeed subject to both storm damage (the storms there are spectacular) and excessive temperatures (it was -23 for a time last winter and this summer it was +35 for weeks). I'm moving out to Slovenia soon and my house is in a wine area so nearly everyone has a vineyard and grows their own fruit & veg. Although the climate can be varied everything there grows like mad! Anyway, thanks again for your help.
          Jules

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X