Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• raspberry canes

Hi

I remember a thread last year about the free raspberry canes - I applied but never recieved any - is anone else in the same position?

fiona b

If anyone has still not received the raspberry canes that they ordered, please email me with your full details and I will look into the matter for you. I know there was a small delay with despatch, but everyone will be catered for who took up the offer.

Neil
    Subscriptions Manager

neil.martin@aceville.co.uk
    Neil Martin

Comment

That's really creepy! I just found this forum, while looking about the site to ask the very same question that Fiona just asked.

Thanks Neil, and check your inbox
      http://www.downsizer.net

http://cabd.livejournal.com

Comment

I received my canes fairly quickly, but haven't planted them out yet - just stuck them in a pot. Has anyone had success growing them in a very alkaline soil like mine, as I read that they are acid lovers. Shall I dig big holes in the bed and fill with ericacious compost, or keep them in biggish pots? I've got the same problem with a blueberry bush. (Maybe a bit more planning before buying/applying?) Sue.

Comment

Hi Suee

I've heard that Raspberris will actually grow in any soil, but will just crop slightly better in their prefered soil. The first years crop I think is a bit of a let down anyway so don't be put off if crop is small, as the plant has to concentrate on putting down roots this year.

I have a Blueberry bush now too (freebie with GYO Subscription ) and I've planted it in a pot with some peat as that was the advise given. They apparently have gorgeous flowers ahead of the fruit so I want to keep mine on the decking by the house when laid... seemed quite an idealy way round it as I don't have alkaline soil either...

Good luck whatever happens

Shortie
          Shortie

"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children; one of these is roots, the other wings" - Hodding Carter

Comment

Originally posted by suee
            I received my canes fairly quickly, but haven't planted them out yet - just stuck them in a pot. Has anyone had success growing them in a very alkaline soil like mine, as I read that they are acid lovers. Shall I dig big holes in the bed and fill with ericacious compost, or keep them in biggish pots? I've got the same problem with a blueberry bush. (Maybe a bit more planning before buying/applying?) Sue.
            Dig in loads of manure Sue, that will make the soil, more acid, the mulch round them with some more at the back and I would think that you should be OK

ntg
            ntg
            Never be afraid to try something new.
            Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
            A large group of professionals built the Titanic
            ==================================================

Comment

Just posting to say that my yellow rasps arrived yesterday, thanks!

I'll try to get out and plant them this afternoon; ride home, ride to the plot, dig holes, put muck in, plant them out, water... Ought to be just about done in a lunch hour!
              http://www.downsizer.net

http://cabd.livejournal.com

Comment

When is the best time to plant raspberry canes?

Comment

If they are bare rooted in November, December or March. If they are container grown - with soil around the roots - then you can plant any time.
                  [

Comment

mine went in in November, and still look remarkably like bare twigs in the ground - when do they start sprouting, or am I just too impatient? blackberries that went in a month before are doing well.

Comment

This year I will be building a fruit cage at the bottom of my garden. As I have tried and failed with raspberries in the past three years, I have planted all my soft fruits I bought up in to individual pots and put them in a cold greenhouse. I thought if I coddle and cytch them into sending out good roots and new shoots I can plant out guaranteed growing fruit in good spacing first time with out fear of failure this year.
                      Jax

Comment

F&V patience is a virtue. Give them chance!!
                        [

Comment

Originally posted by fruit&vegvirgin
                          mine went in in November, and still look remarkably like bare twigs in the ground - when do they start sprouting, or am I just too impatient? blackberries that went in a month before are doing well.
                          Mine are still in pots, but I can just see tiny bits of green appearing round the base of the stems. Sue

Comment

still just sticks....

Comment

me too, just sticks but I didn't cut them down to ground level like mr titchmarsh says in this month's gardeners world

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X