Festooning

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Festooning

I would like some advice on when the best time is for festooning fruit trees. Can it be done anytime throughout the season or is it done at a special point. Thank you.

Hi there and welcome to the Vine.
    I festooned a young apple tree many years ago and seem to recall I did it in the Spring although I think you can do it any time as long as you gently encourage the bending over a period of time.

What type of tree are you wanting to festoon and what sort of age is it?
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Hello Nicos, Thank you for your reply. I have three trees I would like to festoon they are all five years old a cherry ‘Stella’ apple ‘Braeburn’ and a plum ‘Victoria’. I grow all of them in individual large containers and they all do very well. I read about festooning and it would appear that it helps yield more fruit and also keeps the tree neater and not so sprawling. I would like to see if it will work for me. Thanks.

Comment

Mine was certainly more heavily laden than I was expecting.
        Sadly after I moved it to my present garden it died but that was nothing to do with being festooned so I can’t share a piccie with you.

I guess at 5 years old yours will have thicker branches than mine did so I suspect you will have to ‘kindly invite’ the branches into position of a period of months/years.

Good luck - it really is worth doing as far as I am concerned.

Share piccies with us will you if you do go ahead with it!
        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Many thanks Nicos. I will wait till this seasons fruit is over and most definitely give it a go, you have confirmed what I read about better cropping. When I do it I will try and get some piccies posted.

Comment

I've even heard of people cutting hinges in thicker/ older wood to facilitate bending. They use a pruning saw to make a series of cuts until they are able to bend and stake to their desired position.

Comment

Thanks for that Dave8abond I must confess I have not heard of that but could def be worth thinking about.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X