Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions on Apple Grafting.

Hello.
    I have a Red Delicious tree, which was sent to me instead of the Red Windsor I ordered. I have decided to graft some other varieties to it, instead of digging it up. This is my first attempt at grafting. I have a couple of questions I hope someone can answer.
    The first is about the Cambium Layer. I have uploaded a photo (not mine) which I have identified with arrows what I think is the cambium layer - the white area after the green, but before the central wood part (I am colour-blind) Is this correct?

My other question is to do with the actual graft. The scions I have are thinner than the branches they will be grafted onto (about 20% - 30% thinner). There are three branches, I have three diffrent varieties of scion wood, one for each branch. I will use the cleft graft but I don't have enough scion wood to use two pieces in each cleft. Should I just line the one scion up at one side of the branch and leave the other side of the cleft vacant. Or could I collect some pieces of scion from the tree (Red Delicious) and fill the vacant gap with that, cutting it off at a later date? (Knowing my luck the Red Delicious will take and my purchased scions not)
    Last edited by GF3; 02-02-2022, 03:22 PM.

The cambium is the green bit. I would put a 2nd scion of any variety in the other side and then prune off next year. Otherwise you'll have a gap that may take longer to heal and be a possible entry point for nasty stuff.

If the desired scion fails but the other takes you can graft onto it next year.
    Last edited by Dave8abond; 02-02-2022, 04:39 PM.

Comment

Thanks for your reply.
      So, if I understand correctly, the Cambium layer is the one in the photo that the yellow arrows are pointing to. Not the black arrows?

Comment

Yep. Make sure you wrap it well to prevent any water entering the graft.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave8abond View Post
          Yep. Make sure you wrap it well to prevent any water entering the graft.
          My favourite is something called 'Parafilm' with electricians tape over the top to reinforce it. Alternatively, clingfilm with electricians tape over the top.

Comment

Originally posted by FB. View Post

My favourite is something called 'Parafilm' with electricians tape over the top to reinforce it. Alternatively, clingfilm with electricians tape over the top.
            That's a very good recommendation from FB, Parafilm is excellent. Be careful if you do buy it, some sellers are selling green or clear thick cling film listed as Parafilm. Genuine Parafilm is opaque white, slightly tacky (which makes wrapping much easier), has a wonderful stretch which moulds and seals around the graft. Because of this stretch, it doesn't strangle the graft as it heals and grows. You can readily buy short lengths of genuine '"Laboratory" Parafilm from Amazon or eBay. But if you're intending to make several grafts, now or in the future, this is far better value: https://www.agroforestry.co.uk/produ...-grafting-tape

Comment

Many thanks to all who replied.
              I will take a look at using "Parafilm". I had considered using that white PTFE/Plumbers' Tape - the stuff used for thread sealing brass/copper water compression fittings, and then using electrical tape over the top of that ( I have quite a lot of both knocking around). I have seen "Florists' Tape" suggested also.
              I have another question:
              One of the scions I have recieved still has the terminal bud on it, should this be cut off when grafted onto the tree and the end sealed with wax, or can the terminal bud be left on?
              Many thanks.

Comment

Ptfe and electrical tape will work just fine. Unlike parafilm though it will not degrade and so you will need to cut it off before it girdles the branch. The other great thing about parafilm is that you can wrap thinly over buds and they will break through. No bud is going to break through the electrical tape so make sure you don't cover the bud you want to grow.

I would graft a scion of about 3 buds. There is no reason why that can't include the terminal bud. If the terminal end is super thin though it might be easier to graft a slightly thicker part without the terminal bud.

Comment

Yes, cut back to some less 'green', slightly older wood. 2 or 3 buds lower should be fine, cut just above a bud. Grafting is one of those skills where you have to get involved in for things to make sense. I wouldn't recommend using PTFE tape, it's too fiddly and slippery. Everyone has their own preferences as to binding a graft. I love Parafilm, it's perfect for smaller grafts: it grips, seals and stretches as the graft heals and grows. If you feel as though the graft needs further support, I prefer to wrap wet raffia, twine/string or a broad elastic band over the Parafilm, making sure not to cover the buds. Any of these can be easily removed as the graft grows, without damaging the Parafilm underneath.

As an alternative to wax, you can apply a drop of wood glue to seal the end of the scion, or a twist of Parafilm.

Comment

Hello.
                    What would be the best way to use these pieces of scion wood. Should I graft the whole thing as is? Graft the whole thing and cut it back? Cut them in two and use both pieces? The pieces are just over 9 inches and have about 7 or 8 buds. I'm not grafting them yet, just seeking some advice for when I do.
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	scion+.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	2541154

Comment

Don't graft the whole thing, 2 buds is all you need. I would forget about using either end as those sections are more likely to have dried out a bit. I should think you could still get 2 scions out of each cutting though if you're wanting too.

Comment

Thanks for the reply.
                        I hope to be able to get two scions out of each stick if possible. I will use them in a cleft graft. Would beeswax be suitable to seal the gap in the cleft between the two scions before taping the graft up? The gap wont be that big as the diameter of the branches being grafted is about 12mm.

Comment

I think beeswax by itself will be prone to cracking. I've used it mixed with oil as detailed here https://thirteenvegetables.wordpress...-grafting-wax/

I've only ever taped over the gap and then covered the tap with wax to keep out water. Once the grafts have taken they have quickly grown over the gap.

Whether or not that is the best way though I'm not 100%.
                          Last edited by Dave8abond; 21-02-2022, 01:44 PM.

Comment

Thanks for that link.
                            My worry with beeswax was that it may set too brittle, similar to the way candle wax does. I will try adding the oil to it. There are not many other options that I can find available in the UK. On forums in the USA I see Toilet Wax mentioned a lot - I don't think that is a "thing" here in the UK. I'm still pondering over whether to wrap the entire scions with Parafilm, that would then cover the cut ends. I'm not sure how necessary it is to wrap the entire scion with parafilm to prevent it drying out here in the UK.
                            Last edited by GF3; 21-02-2022, 04:52 PM.

Comment

I agree with Dave - tape BEFORE you seal. 'Wax' any exposed cut that's left uncovered. It's better for the tree to callous over naturally, taping will protect the wound while it does that.

I've never used this, but it's a popular, low-cost sealer: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vitax-200ml-...ps%2C88&sr=8-3

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X