Raspberries, replace?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raspberries, replace?

I’ve had my summer fruiting raspberries about 10 years, this year they didn’t do well,I’ve just been attempting to prune them, but most of the stems seem to be brown! So there arent going to be many for next year’s fruit! I’m wondering whether to dig them all up and replace with new canes.

any thoughts please?
    Last edited by Dorothyrouse; 12-10-2021, 09:46 PM.

New canes ripen to brown so that they can overwinter.
    Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

I'm a bit confused as to why this situation might call for replacing them? Surely lots of healthy canes is a good thing?

If you are concerned there are too many, though, you can always just remove some. Start with the smaller, weedier ones, and just cut them off at ground level.

Comment

I don’t think there are a lot of ,new healthy canes’, they all seem to be brown, very few green ones, that’s why I’m asking if raspberries canes should be replaced.

sorry, i think I missed out a word on my original post!
        Last edited by Dorothyrouse; 12-10-2021, 09:47 PM.

Comment

They usually will be brown by this time of year.
          At this time of year, the way to tell the old ones from the new ones isn't colour, it's shape. The fruited stems will have lots of side branches, whereas the new stems will just be a single cane, no branching.

Comment

Thank you, it is a bit of a jungle!

Comment

I have always read that 10 years is about the limit for raspberries to continue to produce well, that being said I know people who have rows that well exceed that age and still produce well.
              Thing is are yours still producing enough good sized canes for a good crop and are the berries of a good quality still and not "Crumbly" or anything like that, that might show them being diseased, if not then maybe they are just overcrowded at the root

If you do decide to dig up and replace, don't use the same area as you will just be transferring any disease to the new plants.
              Good luck

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X