blackberries

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• blackberries

with the impendingloss of my lotty and my source of blackberries, I was going to plant one at home. now this one will have different requirements ... best for flavour and not a living razor wire fence Not that that seemed to stop the little darlings). So which ones to you guys grow? I need it to provide me with lots of crumbles (I guess I'll have to take up scrumping again for the apples ) or are the hybrid berries better?

TIA
    Last edited by nick the grief; 08-10-2021, 09:14 AM.
    ntg
    Never be afraid to try something new.
    Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
    A large group of professionals built the Titanic
    ==================================================

We bought 3 blackberry plants from a garden centre a few years ago, all different varieties. They were all rubbish, I know one was called Reuben, and we dug them up eventually. Then on the other side of the allotment a rogue plant appeared. It put all the named varieties to shame and gives us loads of big, firm fruit. We treat it badly and cut it down when it gets in our way and it grows despite us not because of us.

Comment

Originally posted by greenishfing View Post
      We bought 3 blackberry plants from a garden centre a few years ago, all different varieties. They were all rubbish, I know one was called Reuben, and we dug them up eventually. Then on the other side of the allotment a rogue plant appeared. It put all the named varieties to shame and gives us loads of big, firm fruit. We treat it badly and cut it down when it gets in our way and it grows despite us not because of us.
      thats like my old one at the lotty. it has thorns like razor wire but the taste was superb but its going where the fence is and I've got visions of next door neighbours kids falling into it
      ntg

Comment

I’m pretty sure we had a Chester thornless on our uk lottie.
        High Brix level too.

Wish we’d brought one over with us
        Last edited by Nicos; 08-10-2021, 12:39 PM.
        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

I’ve got a brilliant thornless Apache blackberry,loads of fruit that taste great,I recommend this variety

Comment

I got mine from Aldi as a bare root a few years back. I can't tell you what it was called, I don't think it had the variety on, but it is thornless and has huge delicious berries. I quite like taking a punt on stuff from them and Lidl as you never quite know what you're going to get
            Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds and 4 Giant Puffballs! https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif
            Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result
            https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ilies/wink.gif
            Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
              I’m pretty sure we had a Chester thornless on our uk lottie.
              High Brix level too.

Wish we’d brought one over with us
              looks a good one Nicos. I was going to get one called Helen but like its namesake my daughter its a tad sour
              ntg

Comment

Check up your soil condition compatibility too before choosing.
                Our allotment had a peaty soil and it thrived there….

I think your daughter deserves a pint or something down the pub as way of an apology for that young man!
                "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Loch Ness is a nice, thornless blackberry which produces lots of fruit.

Comment

Originally posted by nick the grief View Post

thats like my old one at the lotty. it has thorns like razor wire but the taste was superb but its going where the fence is and I've got visions of next door neighbours kids falling into it
                    I find children learn quickly and do it once, some husbands however never learn.

Comment

Appreciate it's been a while since the thread was posted, but Karaka Black produces the biggest, tastiest blackberries I've ever seen. Slow growing and moderately spikey though, but absolutely worth it. I wouldn't cook with them though - they're too nice not to eat straight off the plant.

Comment

Originally posted by Brack View Post
                        Appreciate it's been a while since the thread was posted, but Karaka Black produces the biggest, tastiest blackberries I've ever seen. Slow growing and moderately spikey though, but absolutely worth it. I wouldn't cook with them though - they're too nice not to eat straight off the plant.
                        see thats no good to me ... I want one to add to Apple for Crumbles and pies .... dam the diabetes
                        ntg

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X